Stroke Community

cognition post stroke

My father had a massive stroke 4 months ago.  He is still paralyzed on the right side and his speech is affected.  He is getting more words out that we understand.  My question is about his cognition.  He is unable to follow commands and if we show him what to do he still does not do it. (ie - touch your nose.)  Is there a chance this will get better on it's own?  Is there anything we can be doing for him to help this improve?  We are currently listening to music 1-2 hours a day because we have heard that has shown some success.
hi, if you have not started rehabilitation in this period, start it under the supervision of his neurologist. physical therapy for gait and gross motor skills, occupational therapy for upper limbs and cognition and speech therapist for speech and other cognitive areas. starting rehabilitation in the first 6 months has more results.
good luck