Stroke Community

ischemic stroke

My 70+ year old mom had a left side ischemicStroke one and 1/2 month ago, She's paralyzed on her right arm only and also her speech abilities are gone.her Dr said that she will never recover coz she is old lady! she is opening her eyes most of the time and can hear us and sees us, she will turn her head to watch and can move her legs and left arm. they started the physiotheray treatment but they want to discharge her from the hospital in 1 or 2 weeks time .
she is still not eating by herself and using a tube through her nose.

I want to know if we can do anything to help her recover? and when can we see any improvements?
If any body can help, I would realy appreciate any advice in this matter.
regards,

Spongebobah

regards,

Spongebobah
The symptoms you describe as similar to what my mother suffered.  We were fortunate that TPA treatment worked (works for less than 20% of those treated) but don't give up.  Hospitals want to move patients out once medical care has been stabilized; they are likely to suggest your mother go to a nursing home or rehab facility.  Check out your choices and try to get her into one where therapy is at least 2-3 times/day (or 3 hrs/daily); if you're mom was physically active and healthy before her stroke, this level of care should help to facilitate a fuller recovery.  Good luck.
Thank you very much for your reply, hope your mother doing well now.
My mother still in the hospital cause we don't have a nursing home or a rehabe center in our country:( we strated the physio theray with her 2 hours daily but the problem is that she still not aware of what happing around her and I don't know how much that will take.
Thanks again and if you can tell me more about your mother it may help in any way.
regards,
spongebobah