A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.2k Members
2019247 tn?1329279401

ischemic stroke

My 70+ year old mom had a left side ischemicStroke one and 1/2 month ago, She's paralyzed on her right arm only and also her speech abilities are gone.her Dr said that she will never recover coz she is old lady! she is opening her eyes most of the time and can hear us and sees us, she will turn her head to watch and can move her legs and left arm. they started the physiotheray treatment but they want to discharge her from the hospital in 1 or 2 weeks time .
she is still not eating by herself and using a tube through her nose.

I want to know if we can do anything to help her recover? and when can we see any improvements?
If any body can help, I would realy appreciate any advice in this matter.
regards,

Spongebobah

3 Responses
2019247 tn?1329279401
My 70+ year old mom had a left side ischemicStroke one and 1/2 month ago, She's paralyzed on her right arm only and also her speech abilities are gone.her Dr said that she will never recover coz she is old lady! she is opening her eyes most of the time and can hear us and sees us, she will turn her head to watch and can move her legs and left arm. they started the physiotheray treatment but they want to discharge her from the hospital in 1 or 2 weeks time .
she is still not eating by herself and using a tube through her nose.

I want to know if we can do anything to help her recover? and when can we see any improvements?
If any body can help, I would realy appreciate any advice in this matter.
regards,

Spongebobah
The symptoms you describe as similar to what my mother suffered.  We were fortunate that TPA treatment worked (works for less than 20% of those treated) but don't give up.  Hospitals want to move patients out once medical care has been stabilized; they are likely to suggest your mother go to a nursing home or rehab facility.  Check out your choices and try to get her into one where therapy is at least 2-3 times/day (or 3 hrs/daily); if you're mom was physically active and healthy before her stroke, this level of care should help to facilitate a fuller recovery.  Good luck.
2019247 tn?1329279401
Thank you very much for your reply, hope your mother doing well now.
My mother still in the hospital cause we don't have a nursing home or a rehabe center in our country:( we strated the physio theray with her 2 hours daily but the problem is that she still not aware of what happing around her and I don't know how much that will take.
Thanks again and if you can tell me more about your mother it may help in any way.
regards,
spongebobah
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease