itraconazole

What is the connection between itraconazole and hemmorhagic stroke in an otherwise healthy male with no pre-existing conditions to cause a stroke?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, lori221,
I don't see stroke as a side effect for Itraconazole. It can cause a lot of other problems, including conjestive heart failure and high blood pressure. Also, you should not take Itraconazole with the following drugs: Cisapride, Quinidine, Pimozide, dofetilde, or levacetylmethadol as it can cause fatal heath rhythum with these drugs. Some drugs such as blood thinners (Warfarin/coumadin) will have a much higher affect of the drug and so I would think it would the opposite and cause too much blood thinning and hemorrhage. Is he on Coumadin/Warfarin? If so perhaps it caused a hemorrage and led to stroke but the package insert doesn't mention that specifically. I would also call your local pharmacist or ask the doctor that prescribed it why this would have happened. It may not have anything to do with it but if he was on any of these drugs it is possible something interacted.
I hope that he is ok?
Helpful - 0
Thank you-actually, he is doing quite well considering his doctor told him he should be dead. He has gone back to work part-time, but still can't drive due to inability to see things on the left and still runs into things.
The thing that triggered my curiosity is that he had no pre-existing conditions, was on no other meds than the Itraconozole and even his doctor was surprised that this happened. He did and still after a year of being off the Itraconazole exhibits negative symptoms, bruises/bleeds easily, neuropathy in his hands.
As the doctors could find no physical or medical reason for the stroke, either at the time of the stroke or since, I was curious as to whether this could be a contributing factor.
Thank you for your help.
Helpful - 0
Hi Lori221,
sorry this happened. Generally speaking stroke can happen in about 25 % of those under 65.  What type of fungal infection did he have so that had to go on Irtraconazole? I read one case of a 25 year old that had a sinus fungal infection and it moved into the brain and he was given itraconazole and he died of stroke. I read a few patient comments and some did have a stroke after taking itraconazole. Some had been on meds but not all. I think it may be rare complication of the drug. Whether this is why he got a stroke is unknown for sure. I know this doesn't help much but that is all I could find on it.
take care,
mkh9
Helpful - 0
That's interesting-particularly considering the fact that so far, there have been no severe complications from the stroke, 2 seizures and recovery issues but nothing incapacitating.
He was taking the Itraconazole for a fungus that he had acquired while he was in Vietnam, he is a Vietnam vet. Originally, he was on Terbinafine, however the medication was not clearing up the fungus so when he got a new doctor thru the VA, she switched him to the Itraconazole with a Clotimazole cream to use as well if his skin flared up with irritations or sores. The only "clue" we have been given by anyone, is that the nuerologist said perhaps he had some extra blood veins in his brain that were weak and that one of them broke.
Helpful - 0
Also-forgot to mention, he was 61 when this happened.
Helpful - 0
Well I can send you the PubMed article if you like. Also, I supposed anything is possible. It is unfortunate but I'm glad there were no complications. I hope for a speedy recovery.
mkh9
Helpful - 0
Hi Lori221,
Here is a scientific article from PubMed. I don't know if it is related his case but it is a case of stroke with a patient with sinus Aspergillus fungus that gets into the brain I believe. It is a bit hard to read unless you know anatomy well but here it is: It doesn't really state that Itraconazole caused the stroke, rather that early treatment is necessary to avoid complications such as a stroke.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=itraconazole%20AND%20stroke

mkh9
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info-will check is out-no my anatomy info isn't that great but-if I pay attention, I'll muddle thru and figure it out. Have been wondering about this for a year and haven't gotten any answers, just being put off every time I've asked questions. Appreciate the help!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Stroke Community