Stroke Community

pregnancy after stroke

I had a stroke when I was 29...2 weeks after I gave birth to my first child.  I had a bilateral carotid dissection.  I am now 33 and am thinking about having another child, but none of my doctors know for sure why I had a stroke in the first place.  Both my ob and neurologist think that I should be fine, but they really have never seen this before.  I keep looking for other opinions....and suggestions?  Anyone out there that had a baby after a stroke?
You would probably need the opinion of a perinatologist associated with a large academic medical center.  I don't think you are going to find a lot of research in this area, nor will you find a lot of women who have had the experience you are seeking to hear about.  Perhaps with enough new testing, they may be able to give you more reassurance.

You'll have to weigh the risks and benefits for yourself, and hope for the best.  Get several opinions from doctors associated with large academic centers and have a long talk with your husband about whether you two are willing to take the risk.
My doctors are the best....Johns Hopkins.  I am looking for anyone that has personal experience.
what test did you get to diagnose your stroke? CT or MRI....Sorry just curious.
I am 32, had a stroke, almost 3 years ago when I was 30 an ischemic stroke right hemishere do to narrow carotid arteries, birth defect.  I have some left side weakness but It is minimal.  I have an eleven week old little girl.  The pregancy was normal until I was almost full term 36weeks 5days then I had a focal seizure. Still running test to see if it was preeclampsia or from the stroke.  I had her vaginally and she is healthy and normal.When I asked my neurologist if I would be able to have children after my stroke he told me to let my body heal and rehab for a couple of years.  I knew it was a big risk but I prayed everyday god just let me make it thru today. She is my little miracle.  I'm not going to push my body for a second one I thank god for this one.
I am 34 and had a stroke during my 25th week of my pregnancy. I had AVMs. I had my first stroke at 25 also by an AVM. I was told by my neurosurgeon it was ok to get pregnant but I don't think any human can predict if its safe to have children if you had a previous stroke.  Now the doctors say its up to me if I want to try again.  They just don't know.  I am in the same boat wanting to know if their are others out their that had an ok pregnancy after a stroke.  I want my child to have a sibling but thoughts of the tough time I had being pregnant and having a stroke makes me also consider a surrogate for my next child.
I really appreciate all of those that commented. It is a very difficult situation to be in...and don't know what to do!  Those of you pregnant...how's the pregnancy going?
I had a stroke from a Left Carotid Dissection when I was 29 too.  I also went to JHU High Risk.  My doctor was Dr. David Nagey (since deceased -- he was the best).  I kept asking him the risk when I got pregnant the next year and he kept telling me "after you we'll have one case!".  I carried my son to 38 weeks with a few episodes of right sided weakness.  At 38 weeks, we all got a bit nervous with the numbness and induced labor, however they did let me have a normal delivery, despite everyone's hesitation about re-dissection.  My neurologist was/is Dr. Steven Kittner at U of MD.  We wondered about the stress of delivery, we had originally planned on a heavy epidural with a passive second stage, but I decided I wanted to do natural childbirth and I did.  Since then, I've also delivered a baby girl at age 35 with no complications.  Now, 10 years after the dissection and stroke, I'm getting back into running and exercise and trying to find a doc who will give me a straight answer about the risks/wisdom of long distance running and lifting weights (not power lifting just normal weights) -- if I've delivered two 10 lb babies vaginally without medication haven't I stress tested my brain already?
Thank you so much for writing.  How interesting....I know who Dr. Kittner is...he did a stroke study on young women and I am one of them.  My neurologist is the best...Dr. Wityk at Hopkins and people travel all over the country to see him.  I would like to speak with you more at length regarding this if possible.
You can reach me off-line -- how do we do that -- I'd like to learn more about your neurologist.  I'm kind of in-between now.  I developed migraines after the stroke so went down to Georgetown to see a migraine specialist down there, but she's moving to Texas - Dr. Kittner is a great doctor, but he's more of a stroke guy vs. migraine & stroke.  I'm just curious about your doctor.  I'm happy to share more info about my pregnancies.  After Dr. Nagey died, my second pregnancy was actually at University of Maryland with Dr. Hugh Mighty, their Directory of OB-Gyn (High Risk) and their mid-wife team working together.  That was kind of fun, but I preferred Hopkins over-all.
not sure how to get email without doing it over this forum...I'm really curious to talk with you....It's been really difficult.
My Email is renata.***@**** you can email me there...
i had a stroke at 29 yrs. i had a left dissection cartotid artery. right now i'm 31 yrs. i want a baby but my right arm and hand isn't working. i can bend my elbow right now. do you have a full movement in your right hand and arm. i worried about taking care of a baby. can you please give me some advice?