recovery time frame

hello all. I am a 19 year old collge student whos mother suffered from a hemorrihagic stroke on Aug. 28, 2008. The stroke occured through her left eye and affected her whole right side of her body it caused paralysis as well as exspresive apahsia. The day of the stroke she was alert and was able to respond appropriatley. Later that night we had recieved a phone call stating "that theres a big posibility that my mother would not make it through the night and if she does survive she will only have 30 days to live". So being the devout christrains that we are we began praying and praying and praying. And the next day they said that she would make it pass the 30 days and that we were givin the wrong information. However we wernt out of the woods just yet. Later that night my mother went into a coma and had contracted a unrinary tract inffection which was not good for a person who just suffered this type of stroke. 4 days later she came out of the coma and then became responsive however she still required her antibotics for the UTI and a feeding tube. Each day the doctors would come in and tell us how shell will never be the same or even be normal how she would forever be in a child like state and will never be able to walk again in her life. 15 days into the stroke she was released from the hospital and was placed in a skilled nursing facility. There things didnt get much better untill she became comfortable there and she began doing her intensive speech therapy and physical therapy. Towards the end of her 2 month stay at the nursing home she began to walk using a walker. However her speech did not return as much as i would like and her cognition is very bad. Now that shes home we attend out patient therapy however there ending our sessions because they feel that theres nothing they can do to hel her. Although we havent quite reached our 4 month mark yet i was wondering does anyone know what kind of time line i should look forward to? I am only 19 and an only child  this is very new for me .....
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Don't ever give up hope!!  Yesterday was the 6th month anniversary of my father's stroke and we are still improving.  It really depends on who you talk to on how long recovery will take place.  At first we were told that the biggest improvement is in the first 3 weeks.  My father was still in the hospital then and able to do nothing.  He has made a lot of progress since then.  From what I have read and been told by others is that recovery can last for 2-3 years and then it really slows down.  Some people it has taken 8 years to get back to what they feel is normal.  A gentleman I talked to yesterday told me he couldn't talk at all for 2 years and we had a nice conversation.  Just don't give up and keep fighting.  There are a lot of wonderful people on these forums that have really given me a lot of great information. You are in my prayers!
Helpful - 0
Everyone is different. Even if 2 people had a stroke in the same spot on their brains, the effect could be totally different. The fact that the doctors told you what would and would not happen is BS. They do not know any better than the next person. I am 23 and my mom had 2 strokes over 2 weeks ago. She is getting better each and every day. The doctors never told us what her limitations would be, and we have just continued to look forward. It is very scary and stressful and at times it seems like you are on a giant roller coaster. I agree with Bigfoot. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE! Anything is possible, and keeping high spirits around your mom will help her more than you may think. Keep working with her, and stay positive. Look forward from here on out! My mom got a very good gift, it was a plaque that read "She believed she could, and so she did". Hang in there. Everything will work itself out.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Stroke Community