Stroke Community

skull replacement after brain surgery

I would really appreciate some help. My cousin had a stroke at 46, due to a blood clot after surgery.  Part of her skull was removed (due to swelling) and has not been replaced.  She had her stroke back in october and has been told that the part of her skull may not be replaced until february (and then only ifd it is not contaminated).  Is this 'normal' after this type of surgery or should we be pushing for it to be replaced earlier.  

Many thanks

Julie
Hello, my name is Laurie and I had four brain surgeries between july and August. I was having a part of my brain removed to correct a seizure disorder that I had for 14 years. Anyways, There were some difficulties during two of the surgeries. I had a blood clot and they had to go back in. When they went back in to fix the blood clot, I ended up with an infection. They had to remove part of my skull also. I will be going back this Monday, November17th to find out when my surgery will be to replace my skull. They have been keeping it in a solution at the hospital to remove any possible infection since August. I have been wearing a helmet for three months now to protect the area of my brain that is not covered by bone. I don't know a whole lot of details about the surgery, but I do know that this is a common procedure. It sounded similar to my case, so I thought I would share what I could.  Best of wishes to your cousin. I hope I was somewhat helpful.
I would not hurry this.  If the skull is put back to soon can cause pressure...not good outcome.
I am 17 , i was diagnosed with a bone tumor in my skull earlier this year and under went surgery where they removed half of my skull and replaced it with a titanium plate, i was originally told i would have to wait up to 5 months untill the titanium plate was fixed so i think its quite usual, but in the end they did the procedure all in one go.

I dont think you have anything to worry about it seems quite usual to wait a while until the skull is repaced. I hope your cousin makes a speedy recovery.

Katie
My daughter had her skull remove about 5 months ago they told us up to 1 year it could take for the brain swelling to go down.  So this is not unusual. It is better to wait until all the swelling has disispated so that no more surgeries have to be done.
My sister had a car accident back in uly 2008, shehad pressure on the brain and they had to remove her frontal lobe of her skull. She had the bone replaced on 12th jan 2009 but this got infected and 2 months later in March she had to have it removed again. its been a nightmare but she is still coping remarkably well. They have told us that the will be replacing the bone either with titanum or ceramic. Do you know if the outcome is positive from using these materials as we just dont want her to get another infection.Also does anyone know if the cosmectic result is good as my sister is a beauty therapist and is so pretty we just want her to look back to normal.Thanks for any help! x
my husband had a similiar surgery and half of his skull was placed in stomach for 4months until the swelling went down. his right side caved in once the swelling went down. the nuerosurgeons explianed that best way for the skull not to be contaminated is to save it in his stomach . It has been 7months since the skull was put back and u could barely tell he had the surgery