Stroke Community

stroke prognosis

My Grandmother had a severe stroke on July 3rd of this year.  She spent 3 weeks in the hospital and has been in a nursing home for 1 week now.  She is paralyzed on her right side and is right-handed. She is also unable to communicate other than moaning and pointing so this is very difficult for her as well as for us when trying to figure out what she wants or is trying to say to us.  When we can't understand her, she gets very upset.  When we say something to her or ask her something, she seems to understand and will respond by shaking her head yes or no.  
The doctor has told  my family that she probably won't get any better but I keep hoping that she will.  She is receiving physical and occupational therapy but not speech therapy.  They don't have it right now, where she is.  I have heard that this needs to be started ASAP but also that they can't do it yet because of not being able to pass the swallowing test.  
After she had the stroke, she was on oxygen and had a feeding tube down her throat.  She is now off of the oxygen and has a feeding tube in her stomach.  
What I'm wanting to know is, what can be done by us (family) until the speech therapy starts and also what is the likelihood that she will get better?
Can you create some sort of simple communication board or book? This may include simple yes/no phrases, "Im in pain," "Im hungry," I need to go to the bathroom, "Hello," and "Goodbye," numbers 1-10, the alphabet to spell things out? That may help reduce some frustration?

I would ask questions that could be answer by yes or no also.