Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.21k Members

stroke??

hi can anyone help me with information or advice. 48 hours ago my dad suffered a stroke. the doctors have reciently  done a ct scan to see if there was swelling or bleedng on the brain.. but found none of them except told us that the stroke is still in his brain.. he opens his eveys every now an then for a few seconds buthasnt talked since the stroke he is always sleeping can anyone tell me whats happening? what to expect? will he recover? anything please!!
1 Responses
Hi there,

I can totally sympatize with you there. I know when my mother was brought to the hospital about 2 months ago for her stroke. The doctors didn't locate it until it was nearly too late with their CT scans. For some unknown reason, the inital scans missed the location of her brain's stroke.

The sleeping part is normal. It's the body's way to help itself to recover. You may find that your father will sleep alot and for long hours. My mother once sleep for 16 hours then woke up for a couple of hours then she went back to sleep again. We were just happy that she didn't fall into a coma.

All you can do is wait as the swelling start to goes down. Hopefully, everything will start to work its way back to normal.

What to expect well, it's anyone's guess. You can read here on this message board. A stroke can affect so many people in so many different ways. If his stroke is a mild one then he will hopefully recover quickly and regain most of his normal functions. If the stroke was severe then you may have a long road of recovery in front of you.

I totally understand your anxiety. I went through it myself too. At least, you are not alone. Right now, my mother is staying in a stroke ward with other stroke victims. Fortunately, my family and I have been able to talk to other families. Most of them have been positive as it's their 2nd or 3rd round with their parents' stroke. They told us that it took some time but they did recover so now they are hopeful. Their parents will recover again as they have already gone through the process.

I hope that this may help you there Nikita. Just don't be afraid to ask questions to the doctors and here on this message board for information. Remember to be a positive reinforcement to our father. He needs the re-assurance that everything is going to be fine so he can focus on healing themselves and not worrying about other family matters.

Good luck to ya there, Nikita.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease