Stroke Community

stroke??

hi can anyone help me with information or advice. 48 hours ago my dad suffered a stroke. the doctors have reciently  done a ct scan to see if there was swelling or bleedng on the brain.. but found none of them except told us that the stroke is still in his brain.. he opens his eveys every now an then for a few seconds buthasnt talked since the stroke he is always sleeping can anyone tell me whats happening? what to expect? will he recover? anything please!!
Hi there,

I can totally sympatize with you there. I know when my mother was brought to the hospital about 2 months ago for her stroke. The doctors didn't locate it until it was nearly too late with their CT scans. For some unknown reason, the inital scans missed the location of her brain's stroke.

The sleeping part is normal. It's the body's way to help itself to recover. You may find that your father will sleep alot and for long hours. My mother once sleep for 16 hours then woke up for a couple of hours then she went back to sleep again. We were just happy that she didn't fall into a coma.

All you can do is wait as the swelling start to goes down. Hopefully, everything will start to work its way back to normal.

What to expect well, it's anyone's guess. You can read here on this message board. A stroke can affect so many people in so many different ways. If his stroke is a mild one then he will hopefully recover quickly and regain most of his normal functions. If the stroke was severe then you may have a long road of recovery in front of you.

I totally understand your anxiety. I went through it myself too. At least, you are not alone. Right now, my mother is staying in a stroke ward with other stroke victims. Fortunately, my family and I have been able to talk to other families. Most of them have been positive as it's their 2nd or 3rd round with their parents' stroke. They told us that it took some time but they did recover so now they are hopeful. Their parents will recover again as they have already gone through the process.

I hope that this may help you there Nikita. Just don't be afraid to ask questions to the doctors and here on this message board for information. Remember to be a positive reinforcement to our father. He needs the re-assurance that everything is going to be fine so he can focus on healing themselves and not worrying about other family matters.

Good luck to ya there, Nikita.