Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.21k Members

symptoms after stroke

I had an embolic stroke as a result of a PFO 2 months ago.  I am mostly recovered but I still have loss of energy and stamina.  My biggest concern is an occassional feeling of dizziness/lightheadedness from time to time.  I am 59 years old and in excellent health otherwise.  My doctor seems to think that dehydration could be the problem, but I never had this problem before the stroke and eating/drinking pattern has not changed.   I work with power tools and I am on scaffolds and hydrolic lifts.  I would not like to get one of these "spells" while working.  Any information you could provide would be appreciated.
1 Responses
144586 tn?1284669764
You need to get yourself a blood pressure cuff and learn to take orthostatic vital signs. Do a search on the internet. Sometimes post stroke light-headedness is from an inability of the body to compensate changes in body position by the brain ordering the blood vessels in the leg to contract, much as a "G" suit squeezes a pilots legs during maneuvers. You need to determine if the compensation is simply delayed or non-existent. Or if the problem is brain related and not due to a sudden reduction in blood pressure due to change in body position. The question is, does the lightheadedness come on suddenly while you are standing, or take place while while you are standing a while. Often it is just delayed, which means when going from a sitting to a standing position you should ensure you have a firm grip on something and do not walk for a period of time. You might also be on a blood control medication that is a calcium channel blocker, which ocasionally causes these symptoms. Have you had a blood work-up and your hematocrit checked lately? This could cause light-headedness. Sometimes a stroke patient is placed on coumadin, which exacerbates hemorhoids. The rectal bleeding can dramatically decrease the red blood cell count in a relatively short period of time.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease