Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.2k Members

vestibular therapy post stroke

I am a 43 year old male (stupid smoker) juvenile diabetic. I suffered a bi-lateral stroke in 2/07 and a smaller one (TIA) in 7/07. I have been diabetic for 35 years. Even after months of both in and out patient physical/occupational/cognitive therapy I still have vestibular/balance problems. I have 2 questions:
1)Even after this long is there anything else I can do to improve my balance and coordination?
2)I still smoke (stupid, I know), which causes severe degradation of my balance for 5-10 mins. after I do. What is the cause of this?
1 Responses
762757 tn?1234451034
I had a stroke like yours when I was 42, I'm now 47.  My sense of balance still hasn't come back.  I get around using a rollator, and I can drive, but I still can't walk.  Even years after a stroke, people continue to improve.  Albeit slowly.  The 2-year deadline is a myth.  As long as you try, you'll improve.  BTW, I used to smoke too, but I gave up the habit when smokes cost more than $1/pack ('85).

Keep at it, and good luck.

Lee
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease