Stroke Community

vestibular therapy post stroke

I am a 43 year old male (stupid smoker) juvenile diabetic. I suffered a bi-lateral stroke in 2/07 and a smaller one (TIA) in 7/07. I have been diabetic for 35 years. Even after months of both in and out patient physical/occupational/cognitive therapy I still have vestibular/balance problems. I have 2 questions:
1)Even after this long is there anything else I can do to improve my balance and coordination?
2)I still smoke (stupid, I know), which causes severe degradation of my balance for 5-10 mins. after I do. What is the cause of this?
I had a stroke like yours when I was 42, I'm now 47.  My sense of balance still hasn't come back.  I get around using a rollator, and I can drive, but I still can't walk.  Even years after a stroke, people continue to improve.  Albeit slowly.  The 2-year deadline is a myth.  As long as you try, you'll improve.  BTW, I used to smoke too, but I gave up the habit when smokes cost more than $1/pack ('85).

Keep at it, and good luck.

Lee