Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community
126 Members

Baby Monitor to Prevent SIDS

I don't understand why more parents don't purchase the baby monitor that beeps if your baby doesn't move (breathe, move, etc.) for more than 20 seconds.  It isn't that expensive, only $75, especially when you compare it to the life of your little one.  I used the monitor from day one.  It was such a load off my mind.  I know it works because I have had a few false alarms - my DD moved to the edge of the crib and the pad (under her mattress) couldn't pick up the sensitivity of the movement of breathing.

I couldn't imagine losing my DD - more research needs to be done!
I think that is a great idea. If i get pregnate again.... i would get that for sure no price could compare to the loss of your little one!
Where do you get that at?
I bought my at walmart... You can find it online at walmart.com
It is called the BebeSounds Angelcare Movement Sensor and Sound Monitor
with one sound monitor - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2620238
with two sound monitors - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5633501
I wish I had had a monitor like that in 1983, my 9 week old son Matthew died. The doctors said it wasnt sids but, I dont think they knew what killed him...Personally, I think that I had the Strep B in my system, and at that time they never checked pregnant women for that...nor did they do a glucose tolerance test, to check for gestational diabetes...which now I know that I had....go figure..If I had had a monitor like this, then maybe I would still have my baby Angel Matt.....
I will say a prayer to my mommy, she is in heaven... I will tell her to find your angel and rock him in a rocking chair... Mom loved rocking babies!
Unfortunately, even the machine will not save a child from SIDS. SIDS is instantaneous, there is no coming back from that. I've done so much research on it since my best friend lost her little girl in June of 2006. She has since had another little girl who is on an Apnea monitor now, but even the doctor told her, the machine is not going to save a child.
I'm 9 weeks pregnant w/number 1 right now. You know, I almost died a couple times... My mom said I actually FORGOT to breath, she witnessed it. Once at the hospital and once at home.

She jostled me to wake me up/make me breath and it worked. I'm pretty worried about this little one  and we really want a girl. I've heard that they say to place a baby on it's back to sleep.

Does anyone know if this really works well?  I plan on getting a movement monitor. I've got a baby monitor from my mom that lights up w/noise. but that's all.

Thnx Cindie
I respectfully disagree with you... There is "coming back" from SIDS.  Just like people come back from stopping breathing everyday.  They say that SIDS is caused from the baby "forgetting" to breathe... Like Martikadragoon said, I think that if the monitor went off, and you were able to jostle the baby, or even do CPR, you would have a chance at saving the baby...
.
My cousin was sent home from the hospital with a monitor, the hospital also trained her parents in neonatal CPR prior to releasing her to their care. The hospital had been able to detect with there equipment a decline in respirations, then a cessation of all respiration wich lead to a rapid deceleration in heart rate- with no apparent cause, this progression of events if it had gone undetected in the home would have become a SIDS death.  Obviously they were able to ressucitate her, and arm her parents with the skills to do the same.  Therefore it is entirely possible to save a baby- the trouble with SIDS is it often strikes with out warning, prior-disposition, and at times when the baby is not being closely monitored (everyone sleeps)... If you can't catch SIDS while it is happening then you can't save the baby- but if you CAN catch it you will have a beautiful 12 year old girl like my cousin.
I lost a beautiful 8 week old daughter to SIDS in 1984.  As I was told at the time, there is no way for an autopsy to differentiate between an apnea death and a SIDS death.  I did go on to have another daughter in 1988 and she was placed on an apnea monitor at the hospital which came home with her.  The respiratory therapists that did my training with the monitor cautioned me that the monitor would only let me know that breathing had paused.  If it were caused by apnea, stimulation would help.  However, if true SIDS - there would not be anything that can be done.  Problem is, both apnea deaths and SIDS deaths are determined when there are no other obvious causes to point to.  At the time of my daughter's death, one of the cops that came told me that her son died in her arms while she was rocking him.  She had all the CPR training and everything but there was no bringing him back.  I wish there were an answer and i wish there were more hope, but it seems cruel to make people think there was some chance *if they just hadn't been asleep* or *in the other room*.  20+ years later, those questions still haunt me even without the interjections of others.
Not to burst anyones bubble. The research that I have read on these monitors suggest they are not always able to catch a baby who stops breathing due to SIDS. The best thing to do especially if you have lost one baby is make sure that your doctor sends home an apnea machine for the first 6-12 months. I honestly think every parent should be sent home with an apnea machine no matter what the condition healthy or unhealthy. The monitors are a good because they give you that extra comfort, but an apnea machine would be so much more comforting for parents. Wouldnt you think??
I have an angel care monitor as well far walmart, i payed 120.00 dollars for it. I got it after my sisters baby passed away on july 12. and iam telling you i have a peice of mind with that, we tested it with our hand and it work. i think they are well worth the money, and some say it may not always work,. and i have read that in so many sites. and that maybe true, but least it gives us a peace of mind, and i do believe if they stop breathing, you have so long to save them. if that was not the case, paremedics wouldnt bother tryeding...
Thanks for the advice.. I just found out yesterday I am pregnant and reading on all sorts of stuff. I will keep that in mind.. Thank-you..
I had the angel monitor with dd, but we wound up co-sleeping so it wasn't an issue. With ds, he was breathing rapidly at first and the pulmonologist highly encouraged us to co-sleep because being near us would help his breathing regulate. With some minor modifications (no pillows, only a sheet, etc.) it's worked out beautifully and he's always right there in my arms (or now crawling on my face) but either way that was the reassurance I needed.
As suzola said, I was told the same thing when my son passed away.  If a child is going to die from SIDS, it is going to happen and there is nothing you can do to revive the child.  It truly baffles me.  All of my children since him have been on the apnea monitor till they were about 8 months old.  It helped me sleep to a degree, but I still wake up checking my kids.  This one will come home on a monitor too.
aprently you have so many minutes to save them, i was reading in a book. my sister has her check up tommrow. we are going to ask the doctor and see, i think its like 5 minutes or something
My son almost died in the hospital of SIDS while he was sleeping. They were able to recucitate him after 2 minutes. He turned black with his head arched back and his mouth open. It was the most frightening day of my life. I was given an apnea monitor although my son doesn't have apnea. It happened again at home at 3months. I was able to bring him back. Now my baby is 5 years old. I have another child and she needed assistance at the hospital while sleeping on her 2nd day. We now have a monitor for her. I feel confident that these monitors save babies. I know the idea that something could have been done to save a lost baby can haunt a mommy who lost one, but one must remember that you can not blame yourself for not acting on information that you did not have. As the saying goes "hindsight is 20/20".  With as much as we spend on our babies (toys,clothes, furniture) I think it is well worth the investment.
SIDS is a simultaneous shut down of the organs in an infants body, there is no reaction time, it isn't a forgetting to breathe thing, there is no prevention of SIDS. My niece passed of SIDS in April and we have been told there is absolutely nothing that could have been done once the body began the shutdown.
I am new to this site and was reading different forums here I came across this post and wanted to comment.  I have the angel pad your talking about I didnt get the monitor till I had my 2nd son, and I believe i got it after I gave birth to him but wanted it because I feared alot more with him then my first son.  You see my mother lost her 2nd born in 1967 to SIDS he was a healthy baby at 9 months old and just saw his pedi with a clean bill of health but she found him the next morning.  my 2nd babys name is jayden perry (Perry is my brothers name) I was born a year after him so I never knew him but i feel in my heart I do.  especially when i look at my boys.  Parents do not go through many months of pregnancy preparing for the babys death instead going through preparing for a long long with their baby.  You know the happy healthy thoughts we are suppose to have.  So i can completely understand why a parent wouldnt think to buy this machine and only people who have this fear would.  I never heard of it till i had my 2nd son and got it on ebay.  And to be quiet honest although it has given me peace of mind at night it didnt during the day when i was holding my son and he choked on his own breath and couldnt breath.  I think it its going to offer you more peach of mind then get it but remember its not going to save your childs life its only going to alert you if something is wrong.  I started to read some of these posts and i have to say i just couldnt even finish because i was getting so emotional my heart aches for these parents and my mother as well .. May God bless you all
so sorry for my typos....i meant to say

Parents do not go through many months of pregnancy preparing for the babys death instead going through preparing for a long life with their baby.  

I think if its going to offer you more peace of mind then get it but remember its not going to save your childs life its only going to alert you if something is wrong.

My daughter died of Cot Death 21 years ago.  More commonly known as SIDS.  

At the inquest the coronner explained that this cause of death is given when there appears to be no other reason for the child to die.  In other words they dont know what has caused it.  Because of this, maybe the thousands of children who have died of SIDS might have potentially died from different symptoms that the medical profession have yet to learn about, some which may you may be able to resuscitate, so you should never say never....xxx  nobody knows.

Most children who have died of SIDS werent actually on these monitors (like my baby).  Who knows she might be with us if I was alerted to the fact that she hadnt taken a breath for 15 seconds, as it happens Im not sure how long she had gone without a breath before I found her, it could have been up to an hour.  

If baby's are found hours, even minutes, after they have taken their final breath then yes, its unlikely that resuscitation will work, but if more mothers used these monitors then maybe one day someone may prove that there is a chance to resuscitate just as long as the child is found quickly.  

My second daughter had a mild apnea problem (at around 2 months old) which having a monitor meant I could keep prodding her to continue to breath.  Maybe my first child had a similar condition which could have been detected had she have had a monitor too.

What can I say, GET A MONITOR - YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE AND EVERYTHNG TO GAIN....X
As the previous person stated, SIDS is when they don't know what else caused the babies death so you can't say that the babies system is shutting down and there is no coming back from that.  My son had a heart defect that was detected in utero - thank god because they said that babies can sometimes live for up to a month with this particular defect and once the baby starts to get bigger it's heart cannot support it anymore and they die from lack of oxygen.  My son was totally fine when he was born, his apgar was a 9 and all of his vitals were stable.  If I had not know about his condition he would have been sent home from the hospital and the doctors told me that within a month his heart would not have been able to supply enough oxygen to his body and his death would have just been chalked up to SIDS.  Yes they do perform an autopsy but it only shows MAJOR heart abnormalites and really when you think about it the body is very complicated and A LOT can go wrong.  A lot of children stop breathing for a few seconds while they are sleeping and what I have read and been told is that a child with true SIDS has something wrong with their brain and they cannot rouse themselves and begin to breathe on their own, they need to be startled or stimulated. I also have an angel care monitor and has brought me great peace of mind.  It works like a regular monitor too so why not be on the safe side.  If you read the reviews on amazon you will see that people have wrote in that it actually saved their child's life.  My heart goes out to everyone that has lost a child to SIDS or anything else - god bless.
The monitors don't prevent a death from SIDS, it only tells you your baby has died. Now if your baby had another problem and stopped breathing it could very well help. SIDS babies die and do not come back, there has never been a known case of revival of a SIDS death, it just doesn't happen. SIDS is the shut down of the body, it's like a light switch, only it doesn't turn back on. I know this after researching and keeping up on the new findings for 19 years, my daughter died way back then.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments