Baby Monitor to Prevent SIDS

I don't understand why more parents don't purchase the baby monitor that beeps if your baby doesn't move (breathe, move, etc.) for more than 20 seconds.  It isn't that expensive, only $75, especially when you compare it to the life of your little one.  I used the monitor from day one.  It was such a load off my mind.  I know it works because I have had a few false alarms - my DD moved to the edge of the crib and the pad (under her mattress) couldn't pick up the sensitivity of the movement of breathing.

I couldn't imagine losing my DD - more research needs to be done!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You are completely wrong.  If a baby can be revived, then the problem was not SIDS.

SIDS is instantaneous, and irreversible. SIDS babies do not die because they stop breathing, they stop breathing because they are already dead.

My daughter died of SIDS while in the doctor's arms, being examined during a well-baby checkup.  I was there, watching.  It happened in an instant.  She stopped moving, and the doctor immediately tried to rouse her.  Within thirty seconds later, she was in the emergency room. They did everything they could; they worked on her for four hours.  It was no use, by the time a baby has stopped moving, they are already gone.  If they can be revived, then it wasn't SIDS, it was something else.

There is so much misinformation about SIDS, but there is no device that can prevent anything.  A monitor will only tell you when they have already died.

No one knows what causes SIDS, but whatever it is, it happens suddenly, and with no warning.  My daughter was in the best possible situation, and yet nothing could save her.  SIDS is like turning off a light switch; one second they are there, the next, they're dead.

Maybe some day we will know what causes this, but that's no guarantee of being able to prevent it.  And in the meantime, scams like breathing monitors are just a way to con fearful parents into spending money on useless devices.
Helpful - 0
My nephew would be turning 8month. Dec. If he didn't lose his life to sids at 2months old, the doctor said they don't know what causes SIDS, nobody does, but my friends 3month old son was found  by his babysitter not breathing and he was even sleep on his back, the doctors said he was dead but they revived him, he's now 2years old, can't walk and hooked up 2 a breathing machine cause he still can't breathe on his own, but is actually now trying to crawl and walk, after this event happened he was like a vegetable didn't do anything so he's came a very long way.... The doctor said there was no cause of him to stop breathing, no foul play nothing, the doctor said if he would of never breathed again, her son would have had a SIDS death, so maybe they found him just in time but the doctor said it would have been SIDS, maybe if we have been more alert or had one of those machines to alert us, my nephew would be here too...... So to all the moms out there you have nothing to lose by getting one of these machines..... Be safe
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
SIDS is not caused by a heart attack or stroke.  The "diagnosis" ONLY applies to deaths where no cause can be found.  Heart failure and stroke would be clear-cut causes of death and would be listed as such on the death certificate.  
Helpful - 0
I couldn't agree more with your post and I experienced exact same thing back in March of 2010. Jonah was just a few days from 4 months.  Very well stated and I'm so extremely sorry for your loss
Helpful - 0
I agree with havibg a monitor however you are classifying suffocation as SIDS....SIDS is unexplainable shut down of the body..no way to explain it. Suffocation has a clear explanation and can be reversed if found in time. To many ppl have way to many catagories for sids when in fact it should be categorized as accidental suffocation.  When sids rates are at a high nimber usually a study and research is done and the finding is a farley large amount of numbers were miscatorgorized as sids but should be accidental suffocation. If your in doubt of what sids is the dictionary has a clear defination and shows the difference between sids and suffocating
Helpful - 0
I just bought the angelcare delux monitor at babies r us after i woke up to check on my 4mth son (first) and he wasnt breathing and didnt have a heart beat. I tried to wake him but he didnt budge....i than started.chest compressions which by the second one my lil guys heart started again and he started breathing, the drs said theres no medical issue that caused it...so we baught the monitor to give me a peace of mind to at least sleep enough to get through the day, or else i would have never slept again. A lot of ppl complain about the false alarms or battery issue....mine plugs in the wall so no battery issue and i would rather have a false alarm than loose my son and never get him back
Helpful - 0
Breastfeeding also helps reduce sids
Helpful - 0
B
Helpful - 0
We have done research on apnea monitors and found that they actually have no effect in reducing SIDS.
Helpful - 0
The reason that most parents don't use these monitors is because they are told not to. They're not regulated by the FDA. You can find more information on my daughters memorial blog. http://***************.********.com/2013/01/baby-products-that-claim-to-prevent-sids.html
Helpful - 0
Get the monitor.  $80 is worth it,  we have one and I have to say it is very sensitive.  I am a doctor and that talk about not having a chance to bring them back is nonsense.  Humans don't die instantly,  It takes several minutes (5-10) of not breathing before serious damage occurs.  The monitor alerts you in less than 30 seconds.  Simply picking the child up would likely stimulate them enough to get them breathing.  Certainly there are rare stories, where they can't be revived, but that might be because they truly were already dead and had not taken a breath in 10+ minutes.  Some babies simply do not sleep well on their back(thus belly sleep) and in that case the monitor should help give some piece of mind.   CO-sleeping is also a significant risk factor for SIDS.  Just because you are right next to them doesn't mean you are going to wake up when they STOP breathing.   Breastfeeding helps reduce the risk, and back sleeping of course.  Cosleeping is not a good idea, it is a proven risk factor just behind belly sleeping.  But yes sometimes despite our best efforts the unthinkable happens.  I couldn't imagine having to go through it.      
Helpful - 0
I have just recently posted a comment about SIDS not being instantanious and that babies could be saved from SIDS if found in time. From personal experiences and from learning of other parents experiences, i believe in what i wrote, but after reading more of peoples comments, i have been really saddend by their losses and feel i maybe should not of commented as i think that all cases of SIDS are differant. Some may be perventable and some may not. I do know that being oxygen deprived for certain amounts of time causes brain damage and if CPR is addministered in the early minutes without oxygen, the brain and body can be saved. But SIDS can be caused by many factors, some were CPR may not be effective. My comments came from a good place and only wanted to offer hope to some  parents who worry about SIDS and have hope for these baby monitors, as i do. I am truly sorry for those who have lost their precious baby and hope that i have not upset anyone by what i commented because i know this is a very touchy subject and should not be commented on lightly. I can only imagine the grief suffered by the loss of a child and that nothing but time can ease that kind of pain, but those little blessing who have passed early in life have gone to a very good place with GOD to live in their spiritual body for eternity.
Helpful - 0
SIDS is NOT instantanious. I dont know where you would read that in any proffesional literature but you may need to look a bit more into it if thats your conclusion. Babies that fall victom to SIDS die from a number of factors all associated with SIDS, such as, rolling over onto tummy and suffocating, having objects around them while they sleep that may obstruct their breathing etc, also, some babies just forget to breath, and after 3-5 minutes, the brain begins to shut down causing brain damage and/or death. This is why it is important to follow the strict safety guidelines to prevent SIDS and if followed, this reduces the risk of SIDS by half after 6 months of age. Babies found within minutes (2-3) of having no oxygen have had CPR administered straight away have managed to be resuscitated, and sadly, some babies left without oxygen for longer periods (4-7 minutes) have been resuscitated but with no brain activity due to the lack of oxygen. Thats why these baby monitors are a very good idea and even if it doesnt 100% assure the prevention of SIDS, it most defionantly lowers the risk and gives parents some waht of a waking chance to act. Its important to keep your baby around you at all times while they sleep and keep them in the same room with you when you sleep. Also a constant check on them to see if they are breathing while they sleep in their prams and car seats etc will also keep SIDS to a low risk.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
My little boy died of SIDS and when I found him he had a bloody nose. It is in fact very common with SIDS and when I was told this found it reassuring as your mind just goes mad thinking of all the what ifs..... but your friend can be assured that the incidence of a bloody nose in babies who die from SIDS is not unusual......
Helpful - 0
My baby boy died of SIDS at 31/2 months last December and all advice was that it was a process that once it starts cannot be reversed- even by medical staff. Neither CPR or any level of intervention will be enough.I found my precious boy on the ground next to his bouncy chair- unresponsive and with blue lips. I immediately did CPR and the paramedics came within minutes. Nothing helped- and nothing would have prevented what happened. As stated SIDS results in a complete shut down of organs, it is not Apnoa where the baby can forget to breath. Recent research has linked SIDS with a cerebal fault. Despite vast amounts of funding that has gone into research we are no further along the journey of trully understanding SIDS. Sometimes bad things just happen- and they are outside our control. These monitors are foisted on anxious parents and they do nothing to prevent SIDS. In my view they are unhelpful and can create further stress and worry as the parent is constantly waiting for the alarm to sound....... enjoy every moment without fear.
Helpful - 0
So many parents on here have lost a child. I don't pretend to begin to know the grief you must feel. I have read about vaccination induced apnea and also SIDS like symptoms where babies tiny bodies could not cope with the contents of a vaccine and the organs shut down. I know you have been through so much, but if any parents are willing to share can you let the community know, had your babies been recently vaccinated? only by gathering this information will we be able to use it.
Helpful - 0
Baby monitors are not guaranteed to save a baby's life. There have been many instances where the child has died right in the arms of their parents. Then again there has been instances where babies "forget" to breath and just need a lil nudge. The monitor may offer peace of mind to the parents but does not guarantee life for the child. My little girl died at 5 months April '11 and I had done all that I could have done. I breastfed, slept her on her back, she was not exposed to smoke and I had taken infant cpr. It happened so quick, in a matter of 10 minutes. She was at the babysitters. It only takes a couple of minutes of a baby's brain to be deprived of oxygen to make them brain dead. I'm glad I did not have to make the choice of taking her off life support. I often wonder if I'd only been there to perform cpr on her would my baby be here today. I try not to let myself be consumed by guilt.
Helpful - 0
Respectfully, there are no "near miss" SIDS deaths.  SIDS is not only not preventable, but also cannot be "corrected".  A true SIDS child not only stops breathing, but their organs shut down as well.  If your cousin survived, and it is wonderful that she did, then it was not a SIDS classification.  There are no living people who have over come SIDS.  It is a death.  
Helpful - 0
http://www.prevent-sids.org/
No one has mentioned this....I just had my third baby and just came across this. Amazing to think barely anyone knows about this....Gasses from crib mattress cause death. Simple fix : mattress wrapping with polyethylene. I just pray my one comment will save one life!!
Helpful - 0
Everyone has their own story. Some say that they were unable to revive their baby and some say that they have been able to. These testimonies prove that none of us have the correct answer. You never know if you could be one of those lucky parents that are able to save your babies life! Why would anyone be stubborn in thinking "SIDS babies can not be resucitated"? Instead of thinking that way, I would recommend taking every single precaution for your babies safety, especially in the first year. If you dont you may regret it later. When my daughter was about a month old she suddenly went limp, stopped breathing and was unresponsive. I instantly flicked her foot several times and startled her, she then began to breathe again. Who knows what could have happened if I were not present? Nontheless GET THE MONITOR....if anything it will only help!!!
Helpful - 0
Many people have already commented, correctly, that SIDS cannot be prevented. I lost my 5 month old daughter to SIDS last year. While the monitors are great as they can be used for peace of mind, they do NOT prevent a SIDS death. There is no such thing as a near SIDS death. A SIDS baby cannot be revived. I have met mothers who's babies dies whilst they were awake sitting on their knees, one of which was a doctor and she noticed the second her baby stopped breathing and tried to recusitate her yet a SIDS baby cannot be revived! When I go onto have other children yes I will use a monitor for my own sanity. I think that it will allow me to get some sleep knowing that if it were to happen again I would know straight away. Nothing can compare to unexpectedly finding your baby dead after what should have been a perfectly normal night of sleep. I hope that they will soon find a cure to SIDS and I hope that they really reinforce education as it appears from forums like these that people do not understand what SIDS is and what it means. There is nothing you can do to stop SIDS, I followed all the advice to reduce the risk, my daughter does not fit into any of the risk categories yet she still died.
Helpful - 0
It's important to remember that even after 12 months a baby can still die from breathing related issues. My 16 month old son died a week before Christmas lying right between my husband and I. He just didn't wake up. This is SUDC (for over one year) and can occur up till the age of 11.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments