Aa
A
A
A
Close
Surgery Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Appendectomy

Hi

I had an emergency appendectomy and the surgeon had to remove a portion of my bowel, due to gangrene.  After the surgery, my colon was not "moving" (motility) and I had a 2nd surgery.  For nearly 12 days, due to various tests and surgeries, I was never given food - just bags of saline.  After the 2nd surgery I ended up in SICU where they started giving me TPN and things I've never needed in my life such as Albumine and Insulin.  Is this commonplace after an appendectomy or was I suffering from malnutrition.

1 Responses
1140722 tn?1266356279
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
sounds like you were suffering from post op ileus (lazy bowel) due to a terrible appendicitis and abdominal abscess sepsis (infection)
rare but not unheard of after gangrenous appendicitis
hope u r now better!
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.