Flu Related Feelings

Hello!

I am just getting out of the worst 4 days I've had sickness wise.  I basically couldn't get out of bed, had 101 fever off and on, severe headache, really achy body, sleeping about 11 hours a night an trying to throughout the day.  Today is the first day without a fever, but my body is still feeling some of the pain.

My question:  The past few days I've noticed my heart pace accelerating.  Is that normal during the flu, or do I have something to be worried about there?  It was hard for me to fall asleep last night because I was focused on it.  I have read in other places that an accelerated heart rate is typical of the flu.  Also, I don't know if it's the flu or not, but I've had just brief moments of pain around the heart area...not sure if it would be a lung or not though.  I've had a cough for the duration of the flu that's gotten worse today as my fever has gone down.  I'm also coughing up some dark mucus from deep down.  

Well, thanks for your thoughts.  I'm mainly wondering if I need to see a doctor about this.  

Joe
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hear rate acceleration is normal when you are sick. Try to relax and take some deep breaths.
The Pain in your chest is called plurisy-- its an inflamation of the lining around the lungs from coughing.
****If you are coughing up dark colored mucus you need to be seen by a doctor  asap as you may be developing a secondary bacterial illness such as bronchitis or pneumonia. ****

The pneumonia is a complication of the H1N1 flu that is killing so many people right now.

Most doctors offices and hospitals will no longer test for the H1N1 flu- they just automatically assume thats the flu you have. Its not really important to identify which type of flu you have; its more important to treat the symptoms.

Your doctor can prescribe you a stronger cough medecine than whats available over the counter as well as medecine for the pain from coughing.
They may also start you on a course of antibiotics.

If you develop shortness of breath and cant get seen by your regular doctor; go to the ER.

If you cannot afford to be seen by a doctor; try Mucinex for your cough and congestion. {its a cough suppresant but it is also an expectorant that will help get the mucus out of your chest.

Drink lots and lots and lots of liquids!! Water, juice, gatorade, koolaid- avoid soda.
This will help clear the mucus out alot easier.
Helpful - 0
Yes, it's normal for your heart to race or beat faster when you have a fever because your heart is working harder when you're sick.
It does sound like you've had the flu. The pain is probably from coughing but you might want to get a chest x-ray to see if the flu turned into pneumonia. I hope you feel better soon!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Swine Flu Community

Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.