conceiving after miscarriage

I'm about to go see an RE after my third miscarriage this year.  I don't have any problem getting pregnant or ovulating i just don't carry past 6-7 weeks.  I know i have low low progesterone levels and this past pregnancy i was on progesterone injections weekly which wasn't enough because my level was still 3.5 so i was added crinone gel daily which increased it but it was just too late.  So during my last m/c the dr. said the lining of my uterus was thin but he didn't tell me how bad it was.  I guess im wondering if anyone has had a simular situation and if so did things ever work out?  I'm about to just give up.
hey girl, let me know what the dr says. and i am really sorry you are going through all of this.
Hi, i was prescribed Prometrium (progesterone) to start taking as soon as i get a BFP. after reading your post I did another research on progesterone during pregnancy and found this. it was in response to a lady that had had three M/C. she had taken Prometrium for second and third  pregnancies but still M/C. im not sure this quite the information you are looking for as you seem to still have low progesterone even when taking supplements. ill see what else i can find. maybe you are lacking in something else and that is stopping your body from absorbing the progesterone.

"ANSWER In the "normal" course of events, progesterone levels begin to rise at the time of ovulation. The egg is released from an sack, called the corpus luteum. This emptied sack stimulates the production of progesterone. Progesterone is made from the words PRO (meaning "for" or "in favor of") and Gestation (pregnancy). Progesterone levels are quite high during pregnancy.

The corpus luteum can stimulate the production of progesterone for about 2 weeks. If there is a pregnancy the new baby takes over the stimulation of progesterone. If there is not a pregnancy the lining of the uterus is lost and the period begins. It is the falling levels of progesterone that stimulates the beginning of a period.

Progesterone is absolutely necessary for maintaining a pregnancy: Prometrium® is a commercial brand of progesterone. It seems to be an adequate source for some women. However, there are a number of things about it I don't like. For one, it contains peanut oil. Many people are sensitive to all peanut products. Second, the presence of the oil causes a dramatic spike in progesterone level shortly after the capsule is swallowed. This is followed by a fairly sharp fall in levels. This is not the kind of progesterone levels one would see in a normal cycle. The falling levels look like the END of a cycle (in some situations) and the woman's body reacts just as it would in a normal period, clearing the uterus with a period. I believe the dramatic rising and falling levels of progesterone caused by Prometrium is one of the reasons "they" say not to use if you're pregnant. If the falling levels of progesterone trigger a period, the same falling levels could stimulate clearing of the uterus even when a baby is present. Another reason for the warning is that most drug companies fear allowing their products to be used during pregnancy (if you recall, thalidomide was once consider safe for all people, but caused serious birth defects).

The idea of using progesterone to maintain a pregnancy is an excellent one (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Hydroxyprogesterone about the use of an injection of progesterone that helps maintain pregnancy. I also think other methods of administration would work as well - without the need for an injection). It is providing the mother's body with the hormone she is lacking. However, the progesterone ought to be used differently (much different from the dosing of Prometrium). If the normal rise and fall or progesterone follows a cycle then using it as a supplement should also follow a cycle.

Progesterone Levels:  When women suffer from low progesterone we usually suggest a progesterone cream. The dose is 20mg daily for the first couple of weeks of a cycle. This is increased to twice daily during the last half of a cycle, then the dose is stopped until a period begins. This mimics the normal cycling of progesterone. (NOTE: the amount of progesterone used topically is considerably less than the oral dose. When used by mouth the progesterone is acted upon in the gut and right away in the liver. This reduces the amount of available progesterone and offers an increased amount of progesterone metabolites. This is usually harmless, but it does uses a lot more progesterone and subjects the woman to other chemical substances that are not commonly found in the body. An oral dose of 100 to 200mg is often replaced by a topical dose of around 20mg).

Progesterone levels are usually very high during pregnancy so it seems reasonable to use a quality natural progesterone (we like the cream.) This is used according to a cycle (as above) until pregnancy begins. Then the dose is maintained at 20mg (or more) twice daily. The absolute levels are less important than the results being obtained. The usual dose is around 20mg twice a day but it is not uncommon for some women to use 100mg or more. When these levels are needed the doctor usually recommends a suppository instead of the cream. It can get pretty messy slathering the progesterone cream in those doses.

Safety: Progesterone is very safe for the baby. In fact each of us literally swam in a sea of progesterone before we were born. The doctors who specialize in high risk pregnancies always insist on fairly substantial doses of natural progesterone, usually by suppository.

After a baby is born the mother's progesterone levels fall rapidly (there is no longer a baby stimulating the production of progesterone). Some women do not start making their own progesterone in sufficient amounts. I believe this lack of progesterone is what is sometimes referred to as "post partum blues." Instead of prescribing all sorts of chemical antidepressants I think a balanced dose of progesterone would be more helpful. However, few doctors would agree with me.

I hope this give you an idea of the importance of using natural progesterone AND using it correctly. I do not think Prometrium® is an effective alternative.
maybe you need to take progesteron as soon as you ovulate. this is what prepares the lining where the egg will implant.
i started taking the progesterone 48 hours after ovulation.  My doctor didn't really seem that interested in helping me anyway.
sounds like you need a new DR!!!! I am in the same boat with my Dr. With all my cysts that ive had I would have thought he would watch me closer being on clomid.
I hope that your RE will be a good one.  
Thanks for your info on progesterone. I am currently 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant with my 1st pregnancy since my miscarriage last October. I started taking progesterone cream shortly after ovulation. The cream I was taking had about 17mg of natural progesterone per dosage. I was taking that two times a day. It also had a few pharmaceutical ingredients in it to help it absorb and fragrance. I decided to switch to a totally natural cream. I chose Pro-gest by Emerita. I started taking about 40mg of that twice a day(80mg total). I have been so worried that maybe that was too much but I'm glad to see from your post that it is normal for some women to take even more than that. It is so difficult to find any information on how much natural progesterone cream to take while pregnant. What is your source of information?

You are reading content posted in the TTC after Miscarriages Community

Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.