A
A
A
Close
Teen Health Community
2.85k Members
6949333 tn?1386379251

Apendicts?

i have a really sharp pain on my right side above my hip .... what is the pain caused by?
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!
Lower right abdomen pain (just above your hip in the abdomen area) is commonly due to appendicitis. The pain, can at times come and go and not give the classic picture. Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease, infection in kidney, kidney stones, constipation, ovary involvement in women (cysts, hemorrhage, tumor, torsion—torsion is a medical emergency and a long standing pain is not due to this), ectopic pregnancy in women (if you are sexually active), mesentry (a thin tissue that carries the blood, nerves and lymphatics for the intestine) ischemia due to low blood supply, enlarged lymphnodes, and an abscess in rectus abdominis muscle or psoas muscle (these two are unlikely is there is no localized patch of heat or lump) can all cause lower right abdomen pain. It can also be due to inguinal hernia. Other than that at times pelvic inflammatory disease causes a lower abdominal pain along with a pelvic pain.
Please show this to your doctor as soon as you can. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?