Teen Health Community

Irritated Red Blotchy Skin.

i have a blotchy red irritated skin all over my body and whenever i walk, it stings quite allot. ive had it for about 4-5 months. doctors gave me cream, but, it made my skin bleed and i had to wash it off amediatly. its really painful.

what is it?
Hi!
This looks like urticaria or hives. The swellings or wheals produced after itching can be pale (of skin color) or red. Urticaria is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Since you experienced an itch, just go over these possibilities in your mind. Something may strike you. In many cases, hives clear up themselves and don’t require diagnosis or treatment. However if they persists you may need to see a specialist called an allergist to determine what is causing the reaction. Fungal infections also come up whenever there is moisture or temperature difference and Tinea versicolor can cause whole body itch. Over the counter antihistamines help. Calamine lotions and other over the counter preparations with camphor/menthol do help to reduce the itch. Try a soft cotton ball dipped in cool water applied over the itchy areas instead. Calamine lotions and other over the counter preparations with camphor/menthol can be applied after the cool water application. Do consult an allergy specialist. Take care!
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?