Teen Health Community

Lower Left Abdominal Pain... what could it be?

Hello!

I am 25 years old, in relatively good health. No health problems, no children.

I have had a cold for a few days that coincided with my period. I have lower abdominal pain that feels a bit like a muscle strain. I thought it was caused by the combination of period and coughing. I have noticed that when I hold my pee or when I strain to have a bowel movement or pee quickly, i feel this crampy yet sharp pain in my lower left abdomen.

Could it be a muscle strain?

Could it be an ovarian cyst?

My doctor ran no tests, he told me to wait until my period and my cold is over.

Could it be something urgent?
Hi!
It is difficult to say whether it is something urgent or not on net. You will need a doctor to feel around your abdomen and order an ultrasound or CT scan for this. If the doctor examined you and found no signs of urgency, then yes, the pain could be due to gas and mild viral gut infection due to your colds along with period pains.
If the pains persist, they have to be investigated. Pain and discomfort on the lower left side of abdomen just below and to the left of navel can be due to several causes such as Crohn’s disease, colitis, diverticulitis, infection in kidney, kidney stones, adhesions, polycystic ovary in females, IBS, constipation, and an abscess in rectus abdominis muscle or psoas muscle. Since you do not have a lump or a tender hot spot, in all probability it is not a muscle. It could also be a periumbilical hernia that has got trapped resulting in small bowel obstruction or mesenteric ischemia. There is a possibility that there is a stone in the urinary system. This also causes pain that can be felt in groin and hip area.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?