Teen Health Community

Lump on Lower Right Abdomen

I can see and feel a slight lump on my lower right abdomen, just right of my navel. It hurts occasionally. What might this be? Is it something to be worried about?
Hi!
The origin of pain can either be in the abdominal muscles or inside the abdomen. The place which you describe can become painful in case of an abscess or an infected hematoma in abdominal muscles. It could also be a periumbilical hernia that has got trapped resulting in small bowel obstruction or mesenteric ischemia. Early appendicitis too behaves this way and so does colitis. It could also be cystitis, urinary tract infection, diverticulitis or inflammatory bowel disease.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. A CT scan can tell for sure what the swelling is. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?