Aa
A
A
A
Close
Teen Health Community
2.85k Members

Vaginal Itching

Hi i'm 16 years old and i've been experiencing itching at the opening of my vaginal hole since yesterday and today is also the last day of my periods but this has never happened to me before and it's really uncomfortable> What is the cause of this?
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!

Vaginal and or vulval itching can be due to several causes. One possibility is yeast infection. Vaginal yeast infection which can be brought about by antibiotics, birth control pills, pregnancy, menstruation, condom use, sexual intercourse, diabetes, and a weakened immune system. Usually there is a thick curd like discharge with it. Herpes (STD) can cause vaginal itch as the first symptom.  STD like  trichomoniasis causes a greenish discharge. Hence it is important to get a STD panel. It can also be due to bacterial vaginosis. Third possibility is a non specific vaginitis. This happens due to break in the normal flora of the vagina and is usually treated by lactobacillus preparations for the vaginal and oral lactobacillus tablets. Another possibility is vaginal irritation due to latex of condom or due to spermicidal jelly. If you use either of these methods of contraception, then your vagina could be allergic to the material of these. You can try latex free condoms or a different brand of spermicidal jelly. Allergy to semen is also possible and the itch due to this allergy disappears after sex. This is best treated by using condoms or latex free condoms. Vaginal itching may be due to chemical irritants (such as detergents, fabric softeners, feminine sprays, ointments, creams, douches, and contraceptive foams or jellies), drop in estrogen during menopause or hormonal imbalance, pin worms and stress. Diagnostic tests including culture and microscopic exam of vaginal discharge, pap smear and urine and blood studies (including hormone levels) may be done to help with the diagnosis. . Keep the area dry. Wear cotton panties. Check and see if you can identify any personal care items that could be causing the itch. If yes, stop using them. If you have a family history of diabetes, get this investigated. Hence first you will have to find the cause of itch. The treatment will depend on the cause. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?