Teen Health Community

acne

i'm using adapalene now, and my skin is dry should i leave it ? sometimes i pick on it. what is the effect if i pick it?
Hi!
Dry skin can promote acne contrary to popular belief. Picking at skin can cause ulcers and sores which will blemish your skin. Applying a moisturizer and using only soaps that are gentle on the skin is helpful in this case. Drink plenty of fluids and water. Keep a trough of water or use a humidifier at home in your rooms. You can apply petroleum jelly and glycerine on your face at bed time. When choosing a moisturizer, look for oil-based creams and ointments. Fresh juice of tomato, cucumber and orange can be applied. Fresh cream too can be applied on face.
If these tips do not help, chances are that the dryness is due to underlying skin conditions like dermatitis, psoriasis etc. Vitamin A deficiency, hypothyroidism, Sjogren's syndrome, and diabetes too can cause dry skin.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?