Teen Health Community
2.85k Members
Avatar universal

puberty side effect??

I have this pea size lump underneath my left nipple, ive had it for about a month now.. I think i might be growing another under my right, there is a lump there but it is smaller but has been getting bigger. I've read a few things and most people have said it is a side effect of puberty and it should go away in 2 months or so.. Is this true? if not what can i do to get rid of it?, cause the left 1 hurts whenever i touch it or roll on it during the night...
5 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
In all probability the small pea sized lump or lumps under or around the nipple are areolar skin glands or Montgomery glands. They are normal findings at puberty. However, if the lump is painful or increasing in size or causing redness, then this could be an infected hair root. In this case, you would need to consult a doctor immediately. If the lump is painless, not bothering you at all, then please do not touch it or squeeze it. Just watch the lump every few days and if it becomes bigger or painful, consult a doctor immediately.
Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Avatar universal
it doesnt hurt unless i touch it and even then it doesn't hurt that much, and if there is 1 also under my right nipple aswell, would it be coincidence that i would get 2 infected hair roots on each nipple or is that unlikely to happen (eg, it might not be infected hair roots)? my mother also told me that my older brother had swollen nipple when he was my age. He's fine now, me and him look a like( eg same hair colour and both pretty hairy) compared to my other brother. What are the risks of not getting a infected hair root checked out? because a doctor isn't really and option for me at the moment.
Avatar universal
you going to help me some more or is that first piece of advice the only piece you give?
587083 tn?1327123862
Hi there,
These kind of lumps you are describing,could be a condition called Gynecomastia.
This can occur as a swelling of the breast or simply as lumps under the nipple that can last for a while,but will eventually disappear in a few months without any treatment.
The reason for this is "hormonal changes" in young males that occur due to puberty.
Please talk to your mom or dad to take you to your family doctor who will be familiar with this condition from experience and can reassure you that there is nothing wrong with your breast.A lot of young men your age have this problem and you have nothing to worry about okay?
Take care...
Avatar universal
Thanks, yeh I thought it was that. This helps to take a lot off my mind. I have noticed a slight decrease in size in the left lump and the right has gotten to the size the left used to be, just waiting for them both to go now :D ty for the advice
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
Do you ever wonder exactly what happens to your body during your period? Ob/Gyn Elaine Brown, MD, explains the menstrual cycle in-depth.
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?