Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
933 Members

How was your knee injury treated?

Almost all knee injuries will need more than one visit to the doctor. If no operation is indicated, then RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) with some strengthening exercises and perhaps physical therapy will be needed. Sometimes the decision for surgery is delayed to see if the RICE and physical therapy will be effective. Each injury is unique, and treatment decisions depend on what the expectation for function will be. As an example, a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) would usually require surgery in a young athlete or a construction worker, but the ACL may be treated nonoperatively with physical therapy in an 80-year-old who is not very active.With the technology available, many knee injuries that require surgery can be treated surgically with an arthroscope, in which a camera is used to visualize the damage and small punctures are made in the knee to insert instruments to make repairs. Patients usually begin their post-op rehabilitation within days of the surgery.If there is no rush to operate, then opportunity exists to pre-hab or strengthen the quadriceps and hamstring muscles beforehand. When a joint like the knee is injured, the muscles around it start to weaken almost immediately. This is also true after the surgery, which can also be considered a further injury. Strong muscles in the preoperative state allow the potential for easier postoperative therapy.
They told me to ice and elevate after my knee injury. Two and a half years later it hurts a lot to walk!
I broke my patella and tendons, had a surgery and I am now 3 weeks post operation. I can move and bend my knee at ease to 90 degree but I cannot lift it upward I can only lift to the right or the left. I am using crutches while walking.
I had a problem with my knee the other day and last night I straightened it and it went click. I still have some sort of pain but that is easing. I put some heat rub on it and now it feels fine. I could have had a slight dislocation on it, that is, where the 2 bones twist but do not actually dislocate.