Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
932 Members

Laughing causes knife-like jaw pains?

I've never had this happen before. I was semi-reclined watching some comedy show and started laughing. Both sides of my jaws suddenly had knife-like stabbing jaw pains. I thought I'd pass out from the pain, 9 out of 10. I had to stop laughing quickly to stem the waves of stabbing pains.

Very strange. What could be causing this? I've never had trigeminal nerve pain before. Why is this happening?
If stopping the activity stops the pain, it most likely is not nerve pain(neuropathy, neuralgia) and is more likely to be a muscle pain (spasm).  They can be very painful.  Has this happened more than once?  If it continues I would see you physician and/or dentist for evaluation.  
This is the first time this has happened.

I have some other symptoms right now too which include headaches after lying down, nausea, dizziness, balance problems, weakness in hands/arms, and legs, cognitive problems, and hypersomnia.
You should consult your physician.  I don't think this is a musculo-skeletal issue.
Thank you for your time.

I don't believe it is either. I've got a referral to a neurologist but it's seems everyone is dragging their feet. Should I be more pressing with this matter?