Testicular Cancer Community
252 Members

Post Cancer Check-ups

I am nearing my 30's and have been cancer free for about 5 years now. I did CT scans for the first 3 years post cancer but stopped doing them since and I just do the lab tests for tumor markers. I am wondering why I would need the CT scans still, the blood work seems to have the answers? The 8mm cancer growth I had, produced 3200 AFP. My oncologist pushes for the CT scans but fails to explain why and to me it's not about saving money it's more about putting my body through the extra radiation and chemical dyes.

Thank you for your input.
COMMUNITY LEADER
The monitoring schedule after being cancer-free varies greatly from institution to institution and doctor to doctor. Most stop CT scans at year 5 and some doctors continue yearly scans. There are some guidelines that you can refer your physician to at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site and while they are not perfect, your MD can sign up for free and get a free copy. Your MD could very well be a testis cancer expert and have good reason for wanting to do the scans so the key is to just keep the conversation going with them.
Congratulations as you have surpassed 5 years cancer free, thats an amazing feat, I too agree with you that tumor markers should give you an answer and the tumor can be dead tissue, ct scans are just a way to make money to the hospitals and the oncologist, its bitter truth, if u r strong inside and living a healthy lifestyle and low stress in your life, nothing to bother is what I would say, healthy life is what is required for a cancer survivor.

I am still in my first year and under observation and will go for scan in a month or two but i strongly believe these medical institutions wants to make money as well and they dont care about the patient, the patient is just a commodity for them and their business. Period.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.