Testicular Cancer Community
252 Members

Unilateral or bilateral orchiopexy? What are the risks, benefits, long-term effects?

Which one should I get?
24 Male, diagnosed with intermittent testicular torsion of the right side.

Have been having pain in the right side (on and off pain lasting 2-3 days each) for more than a month. Had an ultrasound during the second episode of pain. The result showed normal blood flow.

I have had pain of this type (but not recurrent) like once a year, every year. I dont remember which side is affected in the past, i.e. if it is only right or perhaps sometimes the left one too.

The doctor suggested that I have Intermittent torsion of the right side. I was suggested orchiopexy of right side. I asked him why only one side and if there are any drawbacks or complications that can come from a bilateral procedure? He just said that he will need to make two incisions and that there will be more discomfort during recovery due to this.

My question is that is there any harm in doing both sides (i have not noticed any twist etc on the left side)? Is the surgery risky? Can my testicles get hurt during surgery? Are there any long-term effects or implications due to which I should only consider surgery of one side?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Unfortunately, I am not a physician but to me, unless there was a real proven need to do both sides to prevent a further incident, then I would only do one side. I suppose asking how often torsion occurs bilaterally would be a good start with the urologist.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.