Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Alternative therapy for Grave's hyperthyroidism?

I was diagnosed with Grave's hyperthyroid two month's ago. The Endocrinologist has put me on 40mg Methimazole, which is crashing my WBC's and elevating liver enzymes. Apparently I have to be on this medication for quite some time. My lab values, after only 4 weeks, are insane, and T3, T4 still very high. I find this a highly toxic drug (for me). Even so, if I could handle taking it to the euthyroid state, I'm against RI or surgery. I have researched Stem Cell and allogenic bone marrow transplant, with minimal positive findings. I don't think homeo and naturopathic alternatives will help much, as I pretty much eat the way suggested, minus pasta, sugar for coffee and ice cream on occasion ;) I'm also a vitamin/mineral person and have been for years. So, my question for you is, have you heard of ANYTHING else that may get rid of this without these toxic and/or invasive therapies the Doctors say I must have? As a side note, the only Grave's symptom I have are itchy, "tight" eyes. Thank you
In short - no.
If the WBC is very low, then anti-thyroid drugs may not be an option.  Your dose of MMI (methimazole) is high -- if the levels are going down, and the WBC/liver tests are acceptable, would hold the course and decrease the medication with time.  I assume you are on betablocker (atenolol or propranolol).  You have some eye involvement.  If MMI not working, then would reconsider surgery (or I-131 but w/ caution due to eyes) -- but if surgery the key is to find a surgeon very comfortable with Graves and prep with SSKI for 10 days prior.  

in addition - Would supplement with 200mcg of selenium daily (over-the counter)
I was started on 15mg of methimazole a day, 5mg every 8hours.  No side effects.  40mg seems very high for a starting dose.  After 4-6 weeks your dose should be lowered to bring your labs mid range.  Be sure your Free t4 and Free t3 are used to guide your levels and dosing.  I used stress reduction, no gluten, dairy or sugar and went into remission. 3 years now
Another thing be sure your supplements doesn't have iodine, you want to avoid excess iodine till you heal
A related discussion, thyroid results was started.
A related discussion, radiation iodine treatment was started.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.