Bio-identical hormones for Hashimoto's

Dear Dr. Lupo,

I am hypothyroid and just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I am 27 years old, female, and have always been active. I have been on synthroid and armour in the past, but in the last 6 months my symptoms had become unbearable and i was finding it almost impossible to function in my usual routine.
I recently saw a new doctor and he has put me on bio-identical T3 to see how I do.  He has also given me a bio-identical cortisol tablet because he said my adrenal glands were shot. I am beginning to feel better but I've been urged to get a second opinion. My weight has gone up 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks (before starting the new medication) and seems to be stable at the moment, which is nice-  but while I do worry about the weight, my main concern is making sure to look out for my overall health for now and the future. I am going to see an endo to get a second opinion and a thyroid scan, but wanted to ask you to weigh in on the topic of bio-identical hormone treatment for thyroiditis. I appreciate your time. Thanks!
Would get a second opinion.

"bio-identical" is a well-marketed, non-scientific term.  Synthroid is bio-identical (an exact copy of the hormone your body produces).

You may need to wean off the cortisol rather than stop abruptly -- get to a good endocrinologist for advice and guidance.

A nuclear thyroid scan will not help.  An ultrasound would be of interest w/ the hashi -- to look for nodules.
A related discussion, Estrogen Dominant/Hashimoto's was started.

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
STDs aren't transmitted through clothing. Fabric is a germ barrier.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.