Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

High Calcium normal HPT

Dr. Lupo,

This is going to be long, and a apologize for that.  I do appreciate that you are willing to read and answer these questions.

I am a 52 year old active woman.  I suffered a very painful insufficiency fracture of my sacrum this winter.  I have since learned that I have osteoporosis of my pelvic region and osteopenia of my lumbar spine.  My calcium ranges around 10.9, HPT around 30, Vitamin D around 39.  I have seen several doctors who have ranged in opinion from I am fine, do not worry about the calcium to doctors who tell me I have bone cancer, but cannot locate the cancer.  None of the blood work supports cancer, multiple myeloma and kidney and liver are all completely normal.  

On April 17th,  I was given an infusion of pamidronate to control bone pain and hypercalcemia.  Two weeks after the infusion my calcium was 9.7 and 6 weeks after the infusion my calcium was 10.3.  I am being treated by a endocrinologist at a prestigious Chicago University and she tells me that I cannot have hyperparathyroidism because my HPT is too low and my vitamin D is too high.  According to parathyroid.com, I could have hyperparathyroidism, but my vitamin D is too high.  (It should be noted that I take 500 mg of calcium and 200IU of vitamin D 3x per day.)

I started taking the calcium and vitamin D supplements in April of 08, but my calcium has been in the 10.3-10.9 range since January of 2005.  The first vitamin D blood was not taken until after I had been on the supplements.  I also take a thiazide diuretic, but didn’t start that until April of 2008 so docs do not think that is causing the elevated calcium.

I am ever so curious as to what your opinion is as to my current situation.

Thanks!
Trish915
Looks like primary hyperparathyroidism with inappropriately normal PTH.  Vit D levels vary, but usually are a bit lower.  With Ca levels of 10.9 PTH should be lower if the parathyroids were completely normal -- my best guess is primary hyperpara, particularly in the absence of other identifiable cause.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them