Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

How long is Synthyroids onset of action?

I started Synthroid 11/22/05. Can I experience side effects 2 days later? I am worried about palpitations. My resting heartrate went from 64 to 80 after the second day. My dose is 88 msg. and I am 260 lbs. I have a history of PSVT that does not warrant ablation. I wonder what the onset of action for Synthroid is?
Thank you very much for your time.
The side effects may occur in 2-3 days - usually palpitations are the major problem - I tell my pts to hold the tab for 1-2 days then restart at 1/2 tab for 7-10 days then go up to the prescribed dose - that usually works -- if not (and given the PSVT history this may be the case) - then it's a slow titration upwards to an adequate replacement dose.
I just started on Synthroid-50mcg last Monday (Nov 21).  I started experiencing palpitation too after a week, from 64-80/min but I tried to do mild exercise daily for 30 mins, I guess it helps too.
Thanks for the info Hyperfan. I have not been taking the full 88 mcgs, I have been taking 44 mcgs. So far no palps. I will ease up to the 88 mcgs over the next two weeks. Might do better that way. My TSH was 13.9 so, according to all the MDs that I talk to, they say it would most likely take at LEAST the 88 mcgs. to feel the benefits. But I am too scared to just start out at 88mcgs. I also take Toprol XL 50 mgs to prevent PSVT, and it works great on the palps as well. I have gone as long as 2 years without a run of PSVT. Then sometimes I may have 2-3 episodes in one year. It is weird, The PSVT most always started when I was bending over working or lifting. Seems positional. Once I was stacking wood. Another time I was digging out a water line to my house, crouched over. And another time, I was bending down nailing a board. But the vast majority of the episodes were while I was bent over, doing something. The cardiologist says that since I have learned to terminate the PSVT with valsalva manuevers, no ablation is needed. My EKG is perfectly normal, and I do have a documented run of PSVT with a rate of 230!(in the emergency department, where I work)..........Thanks
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them