Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Hyperthyroid and acute pancreatitis

Hi Dr.Mark Lupo,
I have one more question Dr Lupo iam also suffering from high pancreatitis which showed from blood work that amylase =160 and lipase=2950 and also hyperthyroid which i mentioned in my previous question.My question is that hperthyroid can also cause pancreatitis.please help me.
Hyperthyroidism is not a typically associated with pancreatitis.  There have been rare reports of pancreatitis due to tapazole or PTU.  Elevated blood calcium (sometimes seen in hyperthyroidism) can also contribute to pancreatitis.

There are other more common causes --- gallstones, alcohol use, high triglycerides, etc.

In some rare cases other auto-immune diseases (assuming Graves is the cause of your hyperthyroidism) may be associated with pancreatitis.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them