Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Hyperthyroidism and Parvovirus

I had had a few blood tests over the past month as I was getting very light headed and feinted a couple of times. My TSH level was found to be 0.7 and then down to 0.2 last week. This makes sense, as a lot of my symptoms recently (20lb weight loss, nausea, palpitations in throat, throbbing pain in throat, itchy skin) point towards hyperthyroidism. However, my T4 level was in the normal range (awaiting results of T3, thyroid ultrasound and CRP level).

What could be causing my extremely low TSH, but normal T4? Does the fact that I have been sent for an ultrasound and CRP test mean they are looking for goiters, nodules or cancer? I have been referred to an endocrinologist and I am awaiting notice of an appointment.

I was diagnosed with parvovirus B19 in May 2010, and have been suffering with chronic fatigue, muscle and joint pain for the past 7 months. I have been taking Elavil each night (10/20mg depending on pain). Could the thyroid problems be triggered by either the virus or the medication I have been taking.

I am a 27 year old female, 5'4, 120lbs.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can give me some advice.
The TSH is mildly low.
Other illnesses or medications can cause a lower TSH.
Viral syndromes can sometimes cause thyroiditis with hyperthyroidism, but the timing of the B19 six months ago seems too distant for this.

Would work with the endocrinologist to determine clinical significance of the mildly low TSH.
Thank you for your advice.

Since I went for the last round of tests (just over a week ago) I have been feeling increasingly worse, with throbbing pains in the front of my throat, discomfort when swallowing, headache, palpitations in my throat, very stiff neck and blocked nose and ears. The receptionist at my Drs informed me they still have not managed to get in touch with the endocrinologist re. my referral.

I have been off work since the middle of last week trying to rest. Under any other circumstances I would pass this off as a bad cold but I am feeling slightly nervous given my recent medical history. Do you think I need to inform my Dr of my worsened condition or sit tight, rest and wait for my referral?
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.