Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Hypothyroid and Epilepsy

I was diagnosed with epilepsy 2 years ago.  I have been struggling with anti-epileptic medication changes/combinations since that time with no success in seizure control.  

2 years ago my TSH level was 4.99.  Now it is 6.62.  I do not take thyroid medication.  I am awaiting the results of additional labwork and an ultrasound has been scheduled.

I currently take Felbatol, which, according to my research does not inhibit thyroid function like some other AEDs.

I've related my fatigue, memory issues, and rapid weight gain to seizure medications and seizures.
Now I am wondering if some of those symptoms could be thyroid related.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is there any known relationship between refractory epilepsy and hypothyroidism?

2. Could an untreated thyroid problem inhibit the potency/effectiveness of anti-seizure medications?

Thank you for any insight that you can provide.

your research is correct regarding that felbatol is not linked to thyroid problems like other AEDs are.  Thyroid dysfunction can impact neurological problems and may aggravate seizure disorders.  With the increasing TSH, most likely you have Hashimotos - the thyroid antibody blood tests and ultrasound will likely support htis.  Would consider treatment to see if there is any benefit given your history and symptoms.
Dr. Lupo,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

-Wendy
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them