Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Hypothyroid symptoms adrenal symptoms TPO antibodies

Hi, I've always suspected I have hypothyroidism due to years of the usual symptoms, but my TSH is always "normal".  I have been reading everything I can about thyroid problems for years.  Well, I finally had my FT3, FT4 and antibodies tested in June, 2013:

TSH:  1.02, (range:  0.34-5.60)  
FT3: 3.0, (range:  2.3-4.2)
FT4:  0.72, (range:  0.58-1.64)
TPO Ab:  98, (range: 0-34)
TG Ab:  <20, (range:  0-40)

I also have elevated liver enzymes.  AST:  95, (range: 4-44), ALT:  150, (range: 5-40)
And I had a SPEP done due to elevated globulin and it came back showing elevated gamma globulins (polyclonal gammopathy).
I have a fast pulse, over 100, and heart palpitations (strange because hypo usually causes SLOW pulse).  I was prescribed Metoprolol.  It brought my pulse down into the 80's.
Here's where it gets really strange:  I had some red patches on my shoulders and was prescribed Clotrimazole-Betamethasone cream for it.  When I started using the cream I immediately noticed a COMPLETE ELIMINATION of some of my symptoms:  For the first time in my life I was falling asleep and waking up early without an alarm, and only sleeping 7 hours a night instead of 10-12!  My blood sugar stopped crashing and I didn't have to eat every few hours,  my pulse came down into the low 60's and the HIVES I normally experience several times a day disappeared!
I'm  guessing this happened because of the corticosteroid in the cream.  Could this mean I have a cortisol problem?  Adrenals?  Pituitary?  Or could it be something else?  I don't have any diagnosis yet.  Thanks!  
It is very common to have normal thyroid function with positive TPO-ab's.  Your symptoms are not likely thyroid.  Topical betamethasone should have little systemic effect, but you could explore the adrenal function with your doctor to confirm.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them