Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Hypothyroidism and SSRIs for Depression/Anxiety

I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism which runs in my family. Both of my parents are very overweight, which has led to health issues for them.
I was on Paxil for the last 8 months for anxiety and depression and gained 25 pounds. In addition to that, while on paxil, my credit score dropped because of irresponsibility on my part, my grades dropped, I didn't have energy to exercise as much as I used to and I was fired from a job for the first time ever. The positive side to all of that is that I was much nicer to my husband and less irritated all the time. My panic attacks were less frequent and I smiled more.
I have stopped taking paxil per my doctor's recommendation because of weight gain (which, until very recently was completely out of character for me) and a hypothyroidism diagnosis.

My question is:  what are my options as far as SSRIs or other depression/anxiety management medications for someone with hypothyroidism and a genetic predisposition to gaining excess weight? Given my brief history above, would it be ill advised to give synthroid a chance to work see if that helps my depression as that is a symptom of hypothyroidism?
I have body image issues because of my parents' weight and live an active lifestyle while being very careful of what I eat. I am terrified of significant weight gain and cannot deal with it emotionally. I already have a stack of cards against me with hypothyroidism and am just curious what my options are.
Thanks
1 Responses
97953 tn?1440868992
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If you have untreated hypothyroidism, this should be addressed but the weight gain w/ SSRI's like paxil is not related to a thyroid disease or genetic predisposition that I am aware of....
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.