just a quick question, is it possible to become hyperthyroid after having a thyroid lobectomy? before surgery I was not hyper or hypo just large mass, Just feel real shaky and I am getting sudden hot flashes and sweating I am 6 days post-op.
Unlikely to become hyperthyroid after a lobectomy - anything is possible however and checking T4 and T3 will determine if thyroid dysfunction is the culprit. The TSH takes 4-6 (or more) weeks to reflect an upward or downward trend in T4/T3 - so make sure the T4 and T3 are tested.
There may be other causes of your symptoms so see your local doctor for a complete check-up.
worrywart, I am sorry I am making you doubt the surgery! honestly my surgery went fine, I have the shakes and it kind of feels like my bodies thermostat is off I went for blood test today to check my thyroid levels. Their is always a chance of having to be on medication when you have half removed. But I can sleep on my back now with out feeling like I cant breath,and there is not this big lump in my throat and also if you keep your thyroid in you have to always be careful for cancer cause over time it can turn into it. Its a tough decision,especially if your thyroid levels are normal and they are not telling you it is for sure cancer. but I figured, I am only 30 and other wise healthly and it was probely wise to take it out now rather then later causes it sure wasnt getting any smaller,Good luck to you belive me I understand the difficulty you are having making this decision its a tough one let me know what you decide.
worrywart123, I am going to tell you every thing I know first of all you are not going to meet anyone more scared than myself I am 30 I also have never had surgery never broke a bone nothing, My dad had a surgery that went horrible wronge because of anesthesia and I was a basket case trying to make this decision, My poor husband couldnt drag me away from this computer looking up info about it just to calm myself. anyway right now my incision looks pretty good it is about 4inch and its right above my collar bone they glued it together rather than stich it and right above it there is some swelling that my doctor said would go down it 4-6 week(but it freaked me out and I called him over the weekend cause no one told me it was normal) its also bruised and the frist 24-48 hours it does hurt you dont have a whole lot of mobility and you have a tight feeling aroud your throat. I was in the hospital for about 20 hours and the worst part was feeling naseua and vomiting from the anesthesia,but just ask them for meds for it they work real good. also ask for some thing to relax you before you go into the operating room. I cant tell you a whole lot about the anesthesia cause you just dont remeber!by the way my dad was over weight that is why he had problems. I am 8 days post-op besides some hot flashes and a little shakey I do feel pretty good. I am not ready to go back to work quite yet maybe one more week, but I am driving,finding a comfortable postion to sleep is a little bothersome but really I o-k keep in touch !!
thanks for your note. i trust my surgeon, but i have a call in to his nurse as well as my primary just to get all my ?? answered. i am most concerned about my test results being okay as well as messing up my hormone levels. but, i keep telling myself that if someone 105 year old woman can live in an attic for days after a hurricane, i can do this! i have moments of panic and fear, so a lot of prayers are being said. my work now knows and they're behind me. my surgeon has said he thought i could have surgery thurs/fri and be back at work on the following monday. seems fast to me. i've arranged for different people to stay with me (i'm staying at the hospital the first night). this is still just all shocking to me, especially since i feel great. rest up. hope you feel better :)
jsut a little note! I dont know what you do for a living, but I not sure I would try to rush yourself like that and return so quickly! Like I said 8 days post-op not quite ready! I will say aprayer for you god bless!
My follow-up was last thur. My Dr. couldnt find my pathology report from surgery and said sometime it takes longer because they need another opinon which scared me half to death. she said she would look into it and call me to let me know what was going on,sure enough a couple of days later she called and said the reason we have not received your pathology report is because they sent it to the mayo clinic for a second opinon it was a benign hyperplasia but it was showing cell changes and will know definitly in about a week or 2. I ask if it did come back would we have to remove the other half and she said yes but lets not worry and wait and see (real easy for her to say) Has any one heard of this and if it comes back and they say it o-k I am not sure that will put me at ease. If there was something suspicious( spelling ) enough there to have to get a2nd opinon from the mayo clinic then I am not sure I want to take that risk !!!
whatever happened with pathology? hope it was ok. they should've checked your thyroid for cancer when you were under, so was it something they missed or just couldn't see with out a more thorough pathology they had to do afterwards?
my surgery is thursday. just knock me out and let's go. i've been trying to line up everything at work and home. some people are more supportive than others--you find out who your friends are! i'm trying to be as positive as i can. i am taking things one thing at a time. ignorance is bliss :) i trust my doc and the guy upstairs. i will let you know next week how i'm doing. you're right, this website has been helpful to bounce questions off others. everyone's body is different and i am in very good physical shape and i think i just had to tell my mind i can handle this.
I did get my pathology report back and they both favor benign, From what I have learned is I have a follicular adneoma with some hurthle cell changes. And the only way they can tell that its not cancer is if there is no invasion,and they have to take it out and really look at it to do that . But on the pathology report they say some microinvasion so they want to see me in a year to check the right side. On my pathology report it also says the nodule was 2cm and the ultra sound I had just a month prior said it was 6cm so I have them looking in to that because that just to much of a size differents for it to be a mechanical error. This whole thing is just so crazy! so , how are you? are you going to have your surgery? or did you already please! let me know how every thing goes and thanks! for your respones sometimes it nice to talk to some one who understands.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.