Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Just getting old, or Thyroid problem?

I am 43 years of age. My general symptoms are below...I want to know if these are possibly related to thyroid?

I have had excessive facial hair growth my whole life.

For 15 years I have had hyperpigmentation which is sensitive to light exposure.  This occured after a pregnancy and has never gone away.

I had some fertility testing done at age 39 that showed high FSH in day 3,5.

3 years ago, when I sought laser hair removal, the nurse noticed my facial pigmentation pattern and suggested I talk to an endocrynologist about my thyroid.  A visit to an endocyrnologist did not turn up nything "abnormal" for thyroid number although they said I had "slightly elevated testosterone".

One year ag, I had total, sudden loss of libido.  So finally at age 43, I  finally decided to revisit to the endocryonolgist.  A restest of my testosterone shows it is now a third of what it had been. I started testosterone injections 3 months ago and libido is returning.

Latest symptoms:

I have missed my period. Home pregnancy test is negative.
I had some slight eye puffiness two weeks ago....I though it was related to the laster hair removal, but that was almost 4 weeks ago and I woke up this morning with additonal puffiness in the mask area around my eyes and my eyelids.  Double bags under the eyes.

Chronic Symptoms:

I have always run cold  - although I've been feeling warmer lately.

My skin has always been on the dry side.

I have never had much energy. I can usually fall asleep if I just lay down.

I am frequently constipated.

Could be thyroid -- recheck labs including antibodies to test.  Hopefully the testosterone injections don't worsen facial hair or cause acne.  Also consider adrenal testing if thyroid okay.
Coco, Dr. Andrew Weil has a great (natural) solution for constipation. Please see his web site at www.drweil.com  
His Vitamin Advisor/health problems advisor lists a combo of Triphala and Magnesium Glycinate. He sells these in conenient packages. Good luck.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them