Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Lump in throat

Just a simple question - Do thyroid change with age in terms of their size, shape or feel?  
I'm a 35-year-old female with small features and normal weight, leaning towards the thinner side of normal.  Should I be able to prominently feel my entire thyroid?  My thyroid is extremely firm and prominent - this was not the case in years past, but now it feels extremely firm -hard as a rock, I must say, and if I tilt my head just slightly back I can see it.  I wouldn't call it a goiter by any means, but if I slightly tilt my head back and swallow there looks to be three distinct separate "lumps" that go up and down.  The top one is up under my chin and looks like a man's adam's apple, and then there's two just underneath it, with the bottom most one right above my collar bone. I can feel the entire thyroid, starting at the base of my neck and going all the way up to just under my chin - where incidentally I seem to have developed a double chin out of the blue.  Just above this very top part (right wher my neck meets the underside of my chin) it feels like there are two small, hard peas - would these be lymph nodes? I also have what I think must be a lymph node at the top of neck on my left side near my ear.

Also, on the right side of my neck just under the thyroid (or what I think must be my thyroid) it feels like there might be some kind of squishy mass (which may have always been there, but I was never in the habit of feeling my neck before).  Is a firm, prominent thyroid something that possibly happens with age?

(I've been getting a hoarse throat for a while now, and when I tilt my head back (again, just very, very slightly) I have some trouble swallowing - My neck and especially my face seem to look "puffy" though if you didn't know me you would probably not notice, except that I have recently been experiencing mild yet very noticeable upper eyelid edema, which may be completely unrelated.  My TSH is normal: 1.17).
Your thyroid level (TSH) is normal.
But I am concerned about your description of the thyroid, neck and other symptoms.
Would at least have a thyroid/neck ultrasound and evaluation by your general doctor - there may be a lump that requires biopsy.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them