Normal Thyroid Size?

Does anyone know what is considered normal dimensions of a thyroid? I have Hashimoto's and went to the doctor with complaints of choking and neck tenderness/swelling. My ultrasound shows that the right lobe is 4.8 x 1.8 x 1.3 and the left lobe is 4.7 x 1.5 x 1.8. The isthmal depth is 4mm. I've been searching the web trying to determine if these measurements fall into a normal range, but can't find any info. Ultrasound did show a 4mm low attenuation in the right lower lobe, possibly a cyst, and a 13x5mm mass at the deep margin of the thyroid that appears to be extraneous to the thyroid. The report says it could be a paratyhroid or a lymph node although hilar fatty replacement not seen. I am guessing that my thyroid dimensions are larger than normal, but I just want some numbers to compare to!  Test was ordered by family doctor...they are sending me to an ear/nose/throat next week which I thought was interesting....seems like they would send me to an endo doctor. Free T4 serum was 1.36 and TSH was .91.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The thyroid dimensions are at the upper limits of "normal" - I do 6-8 ultrasounds a day in the office and usually the measurements of normal thyroids are 4-4.8 x 1.0-1.8 x 0.8-1.6cm which is consistent with published dimensions.  

The 4mm right lower pole probable cyst is likely innocent but a repeat ultrasound in about 12 months is recommended.  The 13x5mm mass - hard to say based on the description - could be muscle, parathyroid, blood vessel or lymph node.  The fatty hilar replacement is typically seen in lymph nodes.  To figure this out may be the reason for the ENT referral -- I would not be surprised if that prompts a CT or MRI of the neck to get more information.

The thyroid function tests are normal.

Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Atrophic hashimoto's thyroiditis was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, thyroid size vs. blood tests was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, is this weird? was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, thyroid size was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, thyroiditis was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.