Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Painful neck lump, weigh loss, fatigue

I discovered that recently I lost about 7 lbs. in a month.  I only weight 85 lbs.  I am 41 years old female.  I feel dizzy and fatigue.  Sometimes my heart beat very hard and fast, especially after I eat.  Frequently, I have diarrhea.

Last week, I started to feel the pain in my front lower neck. I can feel a lump on my front neck on the left.  It hurts when I swallow.  Sometimes the pain traveled through the back of my left ear.  I feel like something is stuck in my throat.  I did not have a fever.  Sometimes I feel hot but when I took my temperature, it was normal around 98.6 F.  My voice changes sometimes.  My voice sounds hoarse when I just woke up.

Is it thyroid cancer or hyperthyroidism?

Thanks,
Thoa

You need to see your doctor to have thyroid levels checked and a physical exam.
It is not likely cancer, more likely hyperthyroid due to Graves disease.  But with these symptoms you need evaluation and treatment ASAP.
Hi Dr. Lupo,

Thank you for your response.  I have an appointment to see the endocrinologist tomorrow.

The blood test showed

FREE T4:  3.39 (0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL)         High
TSH:         0.0   (0.46 - 4.68 mIU/mL)  Low

Regards,
Thoa
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them