Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Papillary Thyroid Cancer Treatment

Dr. Lupo,

I am 55 years old, female, and had my thyroid gland removed this February because it was enlarged and multi-nodular.  Prior to this I had two uptake scans because one nodule was cold, but the FNA which showed it was not cancer. I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer after the gland was removed, and underwent radiation ablation in March.   The end of May I went in for labs and review, and the nuclear medicine doctor (in charge of my treatment) said results were good:  TSH .06, Free T4 1.1 and calcium 9.1. He also said the 'suspicious' neck nodes that were more noticeable after the RAI would be looked at again next March, when I would undergo RAI again.   Dr. said he may want my TSH lower, and would review next March.   I spent 4 years and 5 doctors trying to get someone to look closely at my thyroid since all my test levels were 'normal.'   It this a reasonable treatment plan to let the suspicious nodes sit for a year?

I think this is a repeat question
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them