Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Pediatric hypothyroid

My 16year old daughter recently had a physical. Due to 8 day periods acne ,weight and hair loss the Physician ordered some labs. Her TSH was 4.9 and testosterone 98. What should we do next? Is there a relationship between the two? She was a soy formula baby due to colic. She had alot of ear infections as a child and had a T&A at 4. She has had sinus infections every year. Also over the years she has complained of pain behind her knees and pain in her fingers. This year she had a short duration which appeared like trigger finger. Thought related to cheerleading and tendonitis.She eats well and appears overall healthy; she is 5'6" and weighs 136.
Please advise me on my next step.
Thank you SharonM
The TSH is high-normal, would repeat to confirm and consider testing for Hashimoto's (check TPO antibodies).  This would not, however, cause a high testosterone.  There is some increase risk of hypothyroidism (high TSH) in women with PCOS which would explain the acne/hair changes & high Testosterone.

An endocrine evaluation may be in order to see if there is anything else going on (doubt pituitary, but this is a remote possibility).
Thank you so much. Scheduled her to see Pediatric Endocrinologist and have several lab tests ordered. Do they know what causes PCOS in young girls?
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them