Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Recovering from possible drug interaction

I have been on Synthroid treatment since the removal of my thyroids 10 years ago.
Most recently I was stable at 0.275mcg
About two weeks ago I had symptoms of acid reflux and took Prilosec and Zantac for about 10 days.
I noticed that I became progressively more fatigued, resembling the feeling I had when my Synthroid dose was too low.
Is it possible that due to the antiacids interaction my hormon level has dropped too low?
How can I recover? Should I increase my dosage for a few days?
Changing acid levels in the stomach may alter synthroid absorption.  Antacids are known to increase synthroid (and other thyroid medications) requirments. If you are on these medications long-term then the synthroid may need to be increased, but if it is only for a few weeks, then the absorption should go back to pre-antacid status.
If you go to the synthroid web site it tells you how there is a possibility that the antacid will prohibit the absorbtion of the synthroid. Example: If your taking 0,27 mcgs and take an antacid, its like taking half of that dose, so you would be experiencing hypo symptoms. I am not a doctor, I just read alot about this stuff since my TT. I would stop taking the antacid,and ask my doc about taking another 12.5  mcgs to make up the difference. But thats me.....
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them