Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Symptoms for Underactive Thyroid

I have a couple questions,first of all recently I went to the doctor for my yearly exam and my doctor noticed my neck was a little puffy -it wasnt normal and she thought maybe it was my Thyroid, and she did a test but it came back kind of average like it was okay, but I feel like I have symptoms of having a thyroid problem, i'm tired all of the time, I try to eat healthy but instead I just gain weight for no reason and i'm always cold even when everyone else is fine,sometimes I have a hard time sleeping at night, and my throat gets kind of dry, and also could having a thyroid problem be genetic, my mother has a problem with hers, and just the other day, my husband felt my neck and said it didnt feel normal either, so do think that I should have it checked out again? I really don't know what to do, maybe you can tell me the symptoms of an underactive thyroid, please help me out here and tell me what to do. Thank you so much!
Jenn L.
The lab panel mentioned above is a little excessive for the initial evaluation of a possible thyroid problem.  There is seldom value in measuring a reverse T3 and salivary cortisol levels are only proven helpful to screen for Cushings (too much cortisol -- tested as a late night salivary cortisol).  The other tests may be helpful for otherwise unexplained fatigue.  Not sure why one would test E,P,T and DHEA with the history given -- but there is increasing interest in progesterone treatments -- more research on risk/benefit is needed however.

Anyway, would check TSH, free T4/T3 and TPO/Tg antibodies and do a thyroid ultrasound -- that is a thourough way to look at thyroid function and the thyroid itself with this history.
You need to put your test results on here, and yes tired cold all the time are signs and swollen neck.
Ask for this Lab Panel workup:

* TSH But this lab is only for diagnosis of hypopituitary, NOT to diagnose or dose your hypo by.
* Free T4 and Free T3 (note the word “free”)
* Thyroid Antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb. YOU NEED BOTH.)
* Ferritin (and do stress FERRITIN, not just RBC)
* Adrenals Cortisol levels (but we strongly recommend saliva tests, not the one time blood test your doctor will do. See below, because you don’t need a prescription)
* B-12, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA
* Reverse T3

Is a slight stomach ache and diarehia/constipation one of the symptons.
I am hoping someone can help me. I have displayed a number of symptoms including consistent weight gain (even when following a 1200 calorie diet), cold, fatigue, confusion....I have had two sets of blood work done by two different doctors who both tell me my thyroid is fine. But i still have the symptoms and am beginning to feel like I am crazy. Is there something over the counter I can take to see if it helps? I have been to so many different drs and feel like I am running out of options except to live with how I am feeling. I am truely desperate.
I understand what you mean on this one! I think I have every symptom in the book for thyroid. My aunts and both of my grandmothers have thyroid issues and still I have had two tests done as well and they both come up showing that my thyroid is normal. If anyone has any answers on this please let me know!! Thanks!!
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them