Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Symptoms worse by each day!

In the middle of finding out what is causing me to have hyperthyroidism. Tests came back negative for graves disease. My levels have gotten higher though. My endo thinks it's toxic nodule. Every day my symptoms are getting worse. Started with a sore throat on my right side (the same side my thyroid is acting up) was given prednisone to bring inflammation down, but it hasn't. Now I am losing my voice. Went to urgent care to make sure I didnt have strep and it came back negative. I have all the symptoms of hyper, just filling worse and worse each day. I have an uptake and scan 2 weeks away, but honestly don't know if I can make it that long!! I feel so sick. It's become so debilitating. Medications include: prednisone, propranolol, ativan. I feel like I need to go to er. Want something to be done soon.
Sounds like you have subacute thyroiditis -- you are on the right meds but the doses may need to be higher.  There is no specific treatment otherwise besides time.  This will get better. It takes 4-8 weeks usually.
If there is confusion about the diagnosis would do the I-123 now (not sure why waiting 2 weeks as if you are recovering from thyroiditis by then, the uptake may appear confusingly normal or high).  If there is no nodule on simple ultrasound and the TSI was negative for graves, it's thyroiditis -- and I-123 would not usually be needed.  
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.