Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

TSH/T3/T4 Normal - Could it still be thyroid issue?

1st Q-for ME: April 2006 & April 2007 had thyroid ultrasound.  Some cysts & nodules & goiter.  No change in size in year. Recent tests:
  TSH .84 - range .4 - 5.5
  T3   86 - range 60 - 181
  T4   6.5 - range 4.5 - 12.5

Front of throat always tender; doctors comment on palpation. Feel it when swallow.

Symptoms:
cold intolerance, brittle/cracking nails, always tired - daytime sleepiness, insomnia, constipation, hair loss & texture changed, forgetfulness, depression, no weight gain - in fact from Sept to April lost 9 pounds unexplained.  Have since gained it back and stablized weight (weigh 128 and am 5'5"). Neck tension exacerbated by stress that causes sub-occipital pain.

I'm 50 and menopausal (2 yrs); take bioidentical hormones.  My mom just had her thyroid removed (large goiter) and 2 of her sisters did years ago for same reason.

Based on all of this, should I pursue the antibody test or assume it's not thyroid?

2nd Q - for mom. She had thyroid removed month ago, on Levoxyl(sp?) & is so weak can't walk across small room. Dr says give it time. What should she do?
Would look at antibodies, but the thyroid function is pretty normal so may not explain all the symptoms.  At least it (Hashimoto's/autoimmune thyroid disease) would explain the appearance of thyroid on US.

Your mom should have levels tested to make sure the dose is being absorbed and getting close to being in range.  It may take some time to recover.  She should also have calcium level tested.

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them