Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Thyroid Lump

I have been told I have a thyroid lump in the right lobe. I am awaiting an urgent USS and depending on the results whether it is a cyst or not, a biopsy also. My question is this. My TFTs have been normal and are normal now with the lump. I already have Sjogren's Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disease. And my mother had hashimotos, and my two sisters hypothyroid. I would like to know if I can still have an underlying thyroid disorder such as hyper / hypothyroid / hashis even with normal TFTS, and that this is what could still be causing the lump. Also, even if hasn't affected my TFTS yet, if it is likely to do so in the future. Obviously I am very worried about the lump fullstop! But cannot understand why it has not affected my TFTS yet.
Normal thyroid function is often seen in Hashimoto's - which you are at risk for given family history and personal history of Sjogrens.

Thyroid symptoms are very non-specific, so one can "have all the symptoms" and not have a thyroid problem.  However in cases of Hashi, we sometimes consider levothyroxine if TSH >3

The lump needs ultrasound evaluation and possible FNA biopsy depending on ultrasound confirmation of a nodule and its size and characteristics.
ps. sorry i also forgot to say i feel like i suffer from thyroid symptoms also, and have done for a very long time yet my TFTs are always normal??
sorry! another ps! this is a relatively new lump i think
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them