Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Thyroid Nodules, Surgery and Herniated Disks

I have recently been diagnosed with 3 thyroid nodules, 1 larger one on the isthmus and 2 smaller on the right lobe.  Had 2 thyroid ultrasounds, plus 1 FNA which showed "Atypia present - a few follicular cells which look suspicious" and am now being referred for surgery.  Had a 2nd opinion but with no additional biopsy done and recommendation is the same: isthusectomy plus right lobectomy with the possibility of total thyroidectomy.  My concern is that I also have 4 herniated disks in my neck (had them for several years) cervical osteoarthritis, plus bursitis in my right shoulder with some swelling already present in the front of my right shoulder and neck.  I have been in and out of physical therapy for my neck problems over several years with several trigger point injections but I am still dealing with daily pain, headaches and stiffness in my neck.  I am extremely nervous about getting this surgery and wondering if my neck will become permanently stiff as a result.  Also very concerned about the effects of the medication synthroid as I have already been having major problems with additional weight gain and not being able to get it off, daily fatigue and joint disease.  I have gone ahead and scheduled my surgery for next month (4 weeks from now) but am now wondering if  I should request an additional FNA before actually going thru with this?  Please give me your opinion.          
1 Responses
97953 tn?1440868992
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Would have slides of the FNA sent to an expert thyroid pathologist to get a definite read -- I use Dr. Massoll at U Florida -- other good labs are U Penn and Hopkins (among other good universities of course)...
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.