Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Thyroid Removal and Weight Management

My thyroid gland was removed twenty years ago due to Thyroid Cancer.  I have been overweight all my life.  But, at Thanksgiving this year, my brother calculated my BMR for me and I began losing four to five pounds a month.  In February, my doctor prescribed two new meds:  Alesse to control my irregular menstrual cycle and iron for anemia.  Since March, my weight loss has stalled, even though I am still counting calories and burning five hundred calories five days a week at the gym.  Could the cause of the stall be either of the new meds?
oral contraceptive can affect weight.   Also, once you've lost 10-15% of your body weight, weight loss typically plateaus and it is more difficult to continue losing.
with the addition of an estrogen (alesse) -- the thyroid medication dose may need increase -- ask for the thyroid to be retested.
Thanks for the advice.  I'll get my thyroid level retested and see if the estrogen is affecting my levels.  I do have another concern, though.  Since starting the Alesse, I have had several people tell me that people with thyroid problems shouldn't take birth control because of the hormone interaction.  Is it a bad idea to take estrogen when I don't have a thyroid gland?  Also, I read on a website (Mayo Clinic or WebMD, don't remember) that taking iron can interfere with your levels.  Is this true?
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.