Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Thyroid cancer and racing heart?

I have just recently been diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and have just recently been dealing with a racing heart that last all day long. Usually I would just assume that this is because of work but it starts as soon as i get out of bed and last all day even if im just laying around being lazy. I was just wondering if there was anything that i could do to stop it I have surgery in 6 days but mot sure if i can deal with this until then its gotten the point where i cant eat because im so uncomfortable.  
Would discuss this with your doctor -- usually thyroid cancer does not cause racing heart but thyroid medication can as well as anxiety about cancer/surgery.  We often use medications called beta-blockers (metoprolol, propranolol, atenolol are examples) to help in such situations.
When I was hyperthyroid for a short time my heart would race all day. Until now it races sometimes. If your thyroid is overactive it could Definately be a cause - but perhaps adding to it, are you anxious about the operation in 6 days and may be that's part of it? In any case I wish you luck with your operation and I am very sorry to have read about your loss. Lena
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them