Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Training for distance running...Thyroid trouble

Hello. Thank you for your help.  I am a 41yo woman with an excellent health history.  I started running athletically last year, I am training for a marathon.  I work in health care.  Recently I ran a long course and afterward experience symptoms similar to those I had when diagnosed with a goiter and hyperthyroid problems at the begining of my last pregnancy: increased heart rate, fatigue, headache, light sensitivity, anxiety.  I ran my own labs:  TSH = 0.384, Free T4 = 1.17, Free T3 = 3.0, and Antithyroglobulin antibody = 131.  My non-fasting triglycerides are at 44.  My symptoms were bad for about ten days, then improved and I have been feeling mostly better the past week, but not great.  I went for another long run today and felt O.K. but did not have nearly my normal level of energy.  I wear a heart rate monitor to track my running statistics and was surprised to find when I got home that my heart rate for the last third of my run jumped suddenly to consistently over 200 (max 240) compared to my normal 140 or so.  Again, I feel O.K. but not great and my heart rate is still a little high several hours later (85 vs. my normal 60-65).    

I realize my labs are somewhat subclinical.  I want to keep training.  I am a breastfeeding mom. Would you advise me to seek treatment?  Is it likely that I would be started on PTU?  Should I just wait and repeat my TSH if my symptoms worsen?  Will I cause muscle damage, or moreover, is it likely that I am endangering my health to continue training?  I have been trying L-Carnitine and have been thinking that it perhaps helps somewhat with the headache.  After my run today I am wondering whether I should be more concerned about my heart.  I'm at a point in my life when I really don't want to have to slow down and stop running if I can avoid it.  Thank you!
The labs show only a mild abnormality at this point - would repeat before considering PTU or methimazole.  These levels are not abnormal enough to definitively explain the heart rate, but heart monitors will sometimes "act up" - so would not rely on the 200-240 bpm readings.
A related discussion, Why can't I Run? was started.
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.